1978 New Yorker, thoughts?

Finally have an update...

Replaced the Lean Burn System
Replaced fuel tank and grommet (fuel tank was full of crap)
Cleaned all mice nests out of heater vents
Fixed wipers
Changed Tires (dry rotted like crazy!)
And as of yesterday, waxed it and cleaned interior
waxedup.jpg

mine_rear.jpg

mine_front_2.jpg

mine_front.jpg

Very sweet ride indeed! What's next -- anything gonna happen under the hood, or leave it mostly stock??

Mostly stock. Changed valve cover gaskets, and might change the carb. It doesn't have the "pep" that a 440 should have in my opinion.

Other than that though, I want to leave everything as original as possible.

2 questions I had for you guys that can offer some insight:

A) If my AM radio works, but switch to FM and it's completely dead... no static, no anything, could that be a fuse, or a bad radio?

B) Last night on the way home my speedometer started ticking like a grandfather clock. If I was going 55 MPH, the speedo would tick and "jump from 55-60" and back to 55. The faster I was going, the faster the tick would sound, and the slower I was going, the slower the tick...

Mostly stock. Changed valve cover gaskets, and might change the carb. It doesn't have the "pep" that a 440 should have in
Don't forget the 440 was rated only 195 hp that year. You're hauling around 4,700+ lbs.
If you change the carb, do yourself a humongous favor by getting another ThermoQuad from Harm Automtive. About 25% more costly than throwing an Eddie on there and never having it run right. His TQ's are 100% plug n play.

A) If my AM radio works, but switch to FM and it's completely dead... no static, no anything, could that be a fuse, or a bad radio?
Bad radio. No if, ands, nor buts about it. Unless it's the AM/FM radio with the extremely rare FM delete.

B) Last night on the way home my speedometer started ticking like a grandfather clock. If I was going 55 MPH, the speedo would tick and "jump from 55-60" and back to 55. The faster I was going, the faster the tick would sound, and the slower I was going, the slower the tick...
VERY common on 74-78 C-bodies.
Unhook the speedo cable from the cruise control unit.
Hold it up and pour in liquid graphite.
Reinstall cable.
That resolves 75% of them.
The other 25% is finally resolved by turning the trip odometer reset knob and then twidling with it. It will then go away.

Thank you commando for all the help!

Once I get a few dollars put back, I am going to buy one of those carbs.
I have a radio on standby, and when I get tired of scratchy AM radio talk shows, I'll install it.
Playing with the odometer made the grandfather clock tick quit.

PS, I feel embarrassed for askign this, but how do I actually reset the trip? I have twisted, pulled, pushed, etc...I wonder if the knob isn't frozen or stuck? I will just deal with that.

I am getting 12.15 MPG, little bit of interstate, mostly city driving.

Is anyone going to the Monster Mopar Show in either Indianapolis, or St Louis, MO? I plan on going in June in STL.

One thing to note on the horsepower ratings...

Starting in I believe '72 the HP ratings were Net ratings at the wheels and not Gross ratings at the crankshaft as they were previously.

In the same year they also dropped the compression considerably, but they still ran quite well and are still torque monsters. The tall gear ratio will also hinder the hot rod feel around town, but when you get it out on the highway you will appreciate the torque.

PS, I feel embarrassed for askign this, but how do I actually reset the trip?
Simply turn the knob clockwise.
Don't pull or push on it.
The knob may go one full revolution before the slack is taken up and the trip odometer starts to rewind.
The trip odometer is notorious for crapping out on these speedos...

nvs7k0.jpg

2lw654g.jpg

25jcftx.jpg

Wow, very cool Commando! Are you going to offer tours of your garage and formal hoard in the future. I'm hoping you can swing coming to Carlisle this year. We really need a FORMAL formal seminar conducted by a formal legend on the C-body line.

:yes::yes::yes::yes:

The FM not working might be an antenna problem or antenna cable could be loose or unplugged.

Do you have a 1/2" exhaust tube mounted to the rear of the right side exhaust manifold attached with one bolt to the manifold that runs up over the rear of the intake, goes to a check valve and then attaches to the bottom of the air cleaner?

I would give my left (yah, you can guess what) to be able to attend but I'm supporting a wife| who is disabled, a girlfriend who is crazy, and two cats who haven't learned how to use a can opener.

And finally, it was about 80 degrees here today, and I noticed at the stop light the car was running a little warmer than normal. Coolant is full, so I was going to swap out the thermostat just to be safe...I am going to order a 160 degree, but I have searched and really can't find a good answer... What is the difference between OE Temperature, and Alternate Temperature? And what do I want for a stock 440?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...2200&partkey=48778&a=FRc1065619k48778-2911777

Here is where I'm looking.

Sorry guys, I just realized there were 4 pages to this thread. I'll check NYB on that exhaust, I can't remember off hand. ANd thanks for the compliment, I like driving the car, I usually get stuck somewhere daily talking with someone in a parking lot about how their parents had one, or how they have another old car... it's pretty cool!

And that explanation about the odometer, with the pictures of the gears was the best detail in an answer I've ever seen!

Finally got it done yesterday. I think it's more than time for a coolant flush also... That's definitely next on the list! I got the 180.

And by the way, I did not want to remove the compressor in the parking lot and found out how hard it is to get to the 2nd bolt in the thermo housing under the compressor. Is a swivel socket about the only way to get there?? Even a 1/4" drive U-joint was still too tall for that area. I ended up going to Autozone and getting a stubby wrench and skinning some knuckles, but got it!
htermostat.jpg

yep.jpg

...found out how hard it is to get to the 2nd bolt in the thermo housing under the compressor

That's just one of the many little surprises the Chrysler engineers designed to turn a 30 minute job into 2 hrs.
I won't tell you the rest of them that you'll find under the hood.
You'll find them eventually...:D

PS: I'm scared to think about what your heater core looks like.

I also wonder what that core looks like!

78 NYB, is this the exhaust tube you wanted to see? I had to change master cylinder after I shoved my brakes to the floor and almost rear ended a guy, so I figured I'd snap a few pics...
exh1.jpg

exh2.jpg

exh3.jpg

Back