1978 NYB, 392 MILES,For the sceptics.

None whatsoever. I now find owning any vehicle just a financial drain.
Sheesh, what'd you have for lunch today a giant bowl of "grumble soup"?:poke:

I'm 60 and just bought a new project car... listening to you guys I should take the gas pipe! What the Hell is going on here?

I have to agree that owning a vehicle is a financial drain. If you buy a new one, well, that’s a no brainer. You’re losing money from day one. An old project car? Many guys will do some spectacular mathematical gymnastics to say they make money on these things when in fact, if your time and everything is taken into consideration it’s a rarity that you break even, much less turn a profit. It can be done, but you’ll have to kick up the intensity of how much time and money you invest a few notches higher than hobby level.
Can money be made in our type of hobby? Sure, if you can swoop in and pick up a deal on one and flip it but that isn’t “owning” is it?
Myself, I wish I didn’t have to own any cars. I do love the old ones and have to have something to go out in the garage and tinker with. I try to keep it within “hobby budget” spending and not get too carried away.
I have no illusions of being anything but upside down in my current project. I knew when I clicked bid on the eBay auction where I found my car that the cost of the car and going to get it would be a total loss unless I flipped it immediately.
Just my early morning thoughts!

Many guys will do some spectacular mathematical gymnastics to say they make money on these things when in fact, if...
True story. In 2005 when gasoline hit 4 bucks, a guy came to work smiling like a Cheshire cat saying he was getting killed with his long commute so he bought a new Harley to save on gas.
(An $18,000.00 Harley...)

True story. In 2005 when gasoline hit 4 bucks, a guy came to work smiling like a Cheshire cat saying he was getting killed with his long commute so he bought a new Harley to save on gas.
(An $18,000.00 Harley...)
Yup. I’ve seen a lot of depreciating assets such as motorcycles and 4cyl cars bought with borrowed money in the name of getting 10 more mpg.

Sheesh, what'd you have for lunch today a giant bowl of "grumble soup"?

LOL made just for Stan.

e39256542aca111d997a5342d08804b5-dbso9aa.jpg

oh:wtf: I thought I got into this to have fun and enjoy the cars .now you tell me at 61 :BangHead::BangHead:

I've got my seven, plus my older son has two and my younger has one. Everything is tagged and titled. Apart from the brake booster in the Imperial and a little work on the Hudson yet, I can drive any of the rest anywhere, anytime. OK, and a dead coil on the Corvette! All the stuff is for sale at the right money...I'm married to my wife...not my stuff!

One of my Mopar buds locally has 17, with just three of those running and driving. I used to be that way 15-20 years ago...glad I'm out of that stage!

Back