For Sale 1979 Newport Trooper at auction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont be the new owner of this car. i stopped at $3251 sight unseen.

my total budget for this car was $12K, 1/3 acqusition cost (purchase, tax, in-op transport), 2/3 refurbish (rebuild drivetrain, replace suspension soft parts, finish, decals, electrical, who the heck knows what, plus 10% contingency for unpleasant but manageable surprises like mice or something).

my estimate is based on a good body/sheet metal. its clearly very dirty but actually looks pretty good. but, looks like its been in THAT SPOT, outside, thermal cycling through the seasons, without fluids, probably with flat tires, a LONG time.

anyway, good luck to the new owner. could turn out to be a really cool project.

11227_1008_1.jpg
11227_1008_2.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the car. I have been after this car for 6 years. First saw it when I took my 1967 Ford THP to a graduation. This car and the 1990 Caprice were restored in 2007 in anticipation of a museum opening up. It never did and the cars sat and deteriorated. This car was the 50th anniversary car of the THP. Hence the 1979 on the rear bumper. Every year I crawled their *** about selling it so someone would care for it. This year they finally moved. I knew a little more about the car than the training center did, having gone over it many times throughout the years. They are not car guys. It was never used for training. The car remained under an awning until 2012 when it was moved under a tree out back with a tarp over it. In 2017 it was moved down the hill a little ways into the tree line. Even though they swear the fluids were removed, I am almost 100% positive that they are still in the car. Does anyone know where I can get new filler panels for the front and rear bumper?

I bought the car. I have been after this car for 6 years. First saw it when I took my 1967 Ford THP to a graduation. This car and the 1990 Caprice were restored in 2007 in anticipation of a museum opening up. It never did and the cars sat and deteriorated. This car was the 50th anniversary car of the THP. Hence the 1979 on the rear bumper. Every year I crawled their *** about selling it so someone would care for it. This year they finally moved. I knew a little more about the car than the training center did, having gone over it many times throughout the years. They are not car guys. It was never used for training. The car remained under an awning until 2012 when it was moved under a tree out back with a tarp over it. In 2017 it was moved down the hill a little ways into the tree line. Even though they swear the fluids were removed, I am almost 100% positive that they are still in the car. Does anyone know where I can get new filler panels for the front and rear bumper?

You know, I had suspicions this car had more of a story than just being forgotten. Glad you got it.

Murray B. Park in Tiffin, OH (google him) is about the only guy who might reliably have parts for a R-body.

Filler panels will have to come from a donor car as they are not being reproduced. Most of the time, they will be in the same conditions as the ones on this car as they deteriorated fairly quickly when stored outside. Congrats on finding a car you really wanted.

Dave

Filler panels will have to come from a donor car as they are not being reproduced. Most of the time, they will be in the same conditions as the ones on this car as they deteriorated fairly quickly when stored outside. Congrats on finding a car you really wanted.

Dave

Thanks Dave. I may have them custom built from a light weight steel. Don't think I am going to find a donor car.

You know, I had suspicions this car had more of a story than just being forgotten. Glad you got it.

Murray B. Park in Tiffin, OH (google him) is about the only guy who might reliably have parts for a R-body.

Will do. Thank you.

I just checked in to post the results of the auction...
Congratulations TNTrooper428, I hope that it will be an easy restore for you. Please post up some more pics, what you find when you get it home, restore pics and especially the completed pics of it!
Also, more of the back story if you know or find out more. Why was it parked originally with so few miles - that sort of thing.
I am very happy that it will be going to a good home.
Cal

my man congrats!!!

i started to write you for counsel. i am glad i didnt have to compete with you :)

it couldnt have gotten a better home boss!

ray

Will do. Thank you.

try replica-plastics.com (in alabama?) if they have them the will be ill-fitting, hard to mount etc but formed well enough to make do until u get good OEM pieces.

bon chance brother. had i known back story, but didnt know you were bidding, i woulda chased to five digits :poke:

Given your avatar, I have to ask if you are the guy that has the triple black 1972 Sport Fury with a 440 engine with bucket seat interior and a sunroof and otherwise fully loaded as I recall? If so, that car is magnificent. I think this is an image of it below if I am correct.......

8ed39e66f04a20725461078bbe0e73e8.jpg

Given your avatar, I have to ask if you are the guy that has the triple black 1972 Sport Fury with a 440 engine with bucket seat interior and a sunroof and otherwise fully loaded as I recall? If so, that car is magnificent. I think this is an image of it below if I am correct.......

View attachment 215417
She’s stunning. Lower it a bit in the rear.. just my tatse.

Is your Ford THP car the LT Duffey car? I've read about that one, it's a cool story.

I just checked in to post the results of the auction...
Congratulations TNTrooper428, I hope that it will be an easy restore for you. Please post up some more pics, what you find when you get it home, restore pics and especially the completed pics of it!
Also, more of the back story if you know or find out more. Why was it parked originally with so few miles - that sort of thing.
I am very happy that it will be going to a good home.
Cal

Thank Cal, I will do my best to get every bit of history and keep you updated on what I find.
Randy

my man congrats!!!

i started to write you for counsel. i am glad i didnt have to compete with you :)

it couldnt have gotten a better home boss!

ray

Thanks Ray. When I get my mind set on something, I have to follow through all the way. No matter how irrational it gets. I have been advised in the past to get psychiatric help to find out why I keep dragging cars home. I don't wanna. Good to hear from you.

Randy

View attachment 215417

Yep, thats me alright, and don't forget the police package on this car. Thank you for the compliment.
Randy

Thank you. I think it is sitting in a low spot in front. She is more level than this photo shows. I don't like it high in the rear either.

Randy

A lot of the police cruisers that were in service for highway patrol and traffic enforcement had the front ends lowered as the police thought they handled better at high speeds that way. It tended to throw off the steering geometry which resulted in abnormal tire wear.

Dave

A lot of the police cruisers that were in service for highway patrol and traffic enforcement had the front ends lowered as the police thought they handled better at high speeds that way. It tended to throw off the steering geometry which resulted in abnormal tire wear.

Dave

That explains why the front tires were in piss poor condition when I got it.
Randy

I'm thrilled to hear that this one had a happy ending. Now that we have the full story, I bet that the car is actually in pretty decent shape. Some quality time with a pressure washer is going to make a word of difference.

The bumper fillers will be your biggest challenge. There may still be a few NOS ones floating around out there, but they are a real pain to search for by part number because they came pre-painted. Therefore they have part numbers similar to interior trim, with a prefix letter indicating the color. I managed to find some for my St.Regis about 11 years ago, though I was never able to track down the center section for the rear bumper. Option number two is to find a car that's been sitting in the woods up north, out of the sun, where the pieces are still good, though I'm not totally positive that lack of sun exposure would prevent them from deteriorating. I've been wondering if I could make one out of that vinyl baseboard trim that you see in commercial buildings. The size and contour is similar to what's on the car.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back