1980 Plymouth "R" body Police car article

I look at my '79 New Yorker as a inbetween car. Its inbetween the full sized much more of everything 1978's and the M bodies Fifth Avenue. For traditional style and features the '78 and older are great. The '79-'81 are traditional compared to the '82-'89 rear drive cars. Looking at the years made between the last two shows what the public prefered. A clean well condition example of any of the three era cars is what excites me.

very much misunderstood.
The R-body should have been given the opportunity to compete against Ford's Panther platform and GM's full-size entries (Caprice, etc.). Unfortunately, the automotive world looked vastly different in 1981. Big rear-drive cars were supposed to go the way of the dinosaurs. Chrysler was betting their future on the K-car and the Minivan. The R-body was a victim of bad timing.

I know they are but how so in your opinion.
Stan, most of us understand that a new body style take three years from start to production. So the "R" body cars first started on paper in 1976. Everybody had hit or miss cars during this time. For being a basically lengthened "B" body they drove very well and were very dependable.

That's how I view them. Their roots in a B-body. I get attacked for that.
Well let them attack you, but the truth is the truth. Many people forget exactly how well mother Mopar engineered their cars, and everyone used as many "Off The Shelf Parts" as they could to keep the cost's of all these new models down.

Back