2016 Carlisle Car Photo's

My kids would have enjoyed playing with your camera. Olivia actually does pretty good with one.

Aaron actually wanted to look at every Challenger, old or new. So we have to do something to keep the young ones interested otherwise their won't be a car hobby in 20 years.

Good, if I make it next year... and it is a goal... that will help them have fun and me too... I get into the cars and forget I have the camera.

...Anybody thats been there 20 years or more remembers the Neon and PT cruiser frenzy. Now, not all too many there .

Not Carlisle, but you mean like this in Paso Robles, CA 10 years ago?

upload_2016-7-20_21-9-4.jpeg

There is no "right way" or "wrong way" to do a car show. It's up to the organizers of the show to decide what their show will be. After twenty years, there are still some businesses on Woodward that would like to see the cruise go away. This is because their business doesn't benefit from the cruise activity and may actually lose money during that period. I mention this only to say that: you can't please everyone.

I second that. But... classic car people have more in commen with other classic car lovers, no matter what the brand is. An owner of a metric Challenger buys stuff from the shelf and has maybe enough skills to bolt on the parts he bought. If you are into classic Mopars, you know how to weld, you know how cool it is if you find the NOS part you were searching for so long, you know how to use your tools. Same with the classic Porsche/Ford/Alfa Romeo guys. They understand way better what I am doing compared to the people who drive new cars of the same brand. That's why I prefer classic car only shows!

Regarding distance: Like said before, I am for over 25 years in the air-cooled VW scene and there is one show at the Westcoast, which attracts participants from all over the US and the rest of the world. I have to be fair though, as it is a week full of events leading to the big show on Sunday, which makes it more worthwhile going. This event attracts people from far as Florida, Ohio, Canada... and they are driving their 50+ year old Vdubs to SoCal! And believe me, those cars are far less comfortable compared to our Mopars!

I for myself travelled in classic cars from the 60s already to the south of France, Italy, England and even to Poland, covering distances from close to 1000 miles one way. You sure don't do that for a weekend, but how about adding some vacation days? The trip to a show is half the fun - at least for me.

Last edited:
I second that. But... classic car people have more in commen with other classic car lovers, no matter what the brand is. An owner of a metric Challenger buys stuff from the shelf and has maybe enough skills to bolt on the parts he bought. If you are into classic Mopars, you know how to weld, you know how cool it is if you find the NOS part you were searching for so long, you know how to use your tools. Same with the classic Porsche/Ford/Alfa Romeo guys. They understand way better what I am doing compared with the people who drive new cars of the same brand. That's why I prefer classic car only shows!

Regarding distance: Like said before, I am for over 25 years in the air-cooled VW scene and there is one show at the Westcoast, which attracts participants from all over the US and the rest of the world. I have to be fair though, as it is a week full of events leading to the big show on Sunday, which makes it more worthwhile going. This event attracts people from far as Florida, Ohio, Canada... and they are driving their 50+ year old Vdubs to SoCal! And believe me, those cars are far less comfortable compared to our Mopars!

I for myself travelled in classic cars from the 60s already to the south of France, Italy, England and even to Poland, covering distances from close to 1000 miles one way. You sure don't do that for a weekend, but how about adding some vacation days? The trip to a show is half the fun - at least for me.

You're not completely in touch with reality

Maybe with Mopar reality, Dave! Other than that I am pretty much every day in touch with classic car reality, as I work as editor for classic car magazines... ;-)

So you're in your world .... talk with the guys driving the cars into the show and understand their input and where they are coming from.

I don't have a horse in this race but I see why the new stuff rolls in. I disagree with it but I get it...

The newer cars can show up, they're very easy to ignore.

The metric stuff was parked on the top of the hill as usual at Carlisle.....

Who cares......I'm not climbing up the hill to look at them.

More revenue for the event and vendors.

Bingo!
Used to be general admission parking on that hill for $10 a day.
Now it's a "Show Field" at what, $50 a car?
Makes good business sense.
But i'm not walking up that hill to look at a car i can see at my local dealer.
I was there all day sat. and only cruised the vendor swap area, Forward-Looks, C-Bodies and Chargers only because they were right next door.
Great weekend
(Started off rough being right in the middle of a pile-up in Toledo.
Quick reflexes and a Hemi got me thru unscathed.) :steering:

Bingo!
Used to be general admission parking on that hill for $10 a day.
Now it's a "Show Field" at what, $50 a car?
Makes good business sense.
But i'm not walking up that hill to look at a car i can see at my local dealer.
I was there all day sat. and only cruised the vendor swap area, Forward-Looks, C-Bodies and Chargers only because they were right next door.
Great weekend
(Started off rough being right in the middle of a pile-up in Toledo.
Quick reflexes and a Hemi got me thru unscathed.) :steering:

I'm glad you made it through... I had one closeish call on my trip... I really feel for the guy's who couldn't get their car there for one reason or another. And Bob who's tire tried to kill him...

A big shout out to Dylan for showing up anyhow. After the devastation of bruising the Blue Moose, I know it was a hard thing... and the best thing for him to do. Good luck with the truck adventures... but don't forget all the friends you have over here.

That's why Carlisle puts the new stuff on the hill, you can go look at it but who wants to walk all the way up there, be lazy stay on the flat with the old cars. Now does anybody need any more proof the Carlisle knows what they are doing.

Ellie and I are still on the road visiting Civil war areas from Gettysburg PA and now in Appomattox Via. Hope to make Lexington NC by this evening.
The rebuilt apt I installed before leaving home is giving me some trouble, need to visit a Auto Zone. But the trans I installed at Carlisle is holding up fine.
Should be home by Sunday. One of the best Carlisle's ever

Ellie and I are still on the road visiting Civil war areas from Gettysburg PA and now in Appomattox Via. Hope to make Lexington NC by this evening.
The rebuilt apt I installed before leaving home is giving me some trouble, need to visit a Auto Zone. But the trans I installed at Carlisle is holding up fine.
I would remind you about the "you suck list" but I can't even jokingly say that to someone who drives from Alabama to Carlisle with a transmission with no high gear. Will you give that Raccoon riding the Alligator that Stan posted a run for who has bigger balls.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the update... Was wondering where you were now... living the good life of course...

Question for you Will. Did you tell Ellie there was no high gear or just forget to mention it? My wife prefers that not tell her like driving back from S.C. with no power steering hoping the pump does not lock up.

everyone is different.

We just came back Monday from a 2,325 mile (3.720 Kilometer) round trip to Sweden visiting some big American car shows for classic cars only.

The "power big meet" had around 20.000 cars attending and the "wheels&wings" meet 5.000 cars. No modern cars on the show and I didn't miss them.

Carsten

everyone is different.

We just came back Monday from a 2,325 mile (3.720 Kilometer) round trip to Sweden visiting some big American car shows for classic cars only.

The "power big meet" had around 20.000 cars attending and the "wheels&wings" meet 5.000 cars. No modern cars on the show and I didn't miss them.

Carsten
I think you guys have a completely different car scene over there...

Back