255/60/15 Tires on the Front of a 1967 Polara?

Land Shark

Reaction score
I like the look of wide tires on a big car. I had staggered widths on my last car (wide in the back, thinner on the front) but that doesn't allow you to rotate the tires. So… I want to put matching wheels and tires on all four corners. I am wanting to do these 15”x 8” 4.25" backspace Cragar Smoothies with 255/60/15 Cooper Cobra tires. The tire diameter matches the factory 27” diameter almost perfect. My question is has anyone seen 255/60/15 tires on the front of a C Body?
polara 3.jpgsmoothie.jpgcooper.jpg

polara 3.jpg

smoothie.jpg

cooper.jpg

I asked a similar question about my '68 Fury awhile back, and I seem to remember someone writing in about a Fuselage Polara with tires that big in front -- polara71 was it? It was a brown car. I went with 235/70 R15 all the way around, still semi-chunky. If I compress the front suspension with the wheel cranked over it looks like a 255 will be in danger of rubbing, no matter the aspect ratio.

Good luck, I like that chunky-all-around look too. On the tires, I mean.

I have always maintained that 8" wheels will rub.
I always get a 1,000 replies to that statement but in the end when the dust settles, 8" is too wide somewhere somehow.

Waits for 1,000 replies...
popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif

I always get a 1,000 replies to that statement but in the end when the dust settles, 8" is too wide somewhere somehow.

I only have 7" rims. Didn't see that bit, or forgot.

I also have a 66 not a 67. Don't think it matters, but just to clarify.

Last edited:

:yes_no:

Only 999 to go !
I don't know if they would rub or not, but I could sure see where they could, 8" is pretty wide.

I decided to hold off on the new wheels for now and to go with a thinner tire. I just ordered the same white letter Cooper Cobra Radial GT's in 235/70/15. I don't think the white letters will work with my hubcaps so they will be staying off.

I ordered the tires from DiscountTireDirect on eBay. They had a $100 off if you spent $400+ The Tires cost $408 so final price was $308 with Free Shipping to my door and No Sales Tax. Walmart will mount the tires for $5 each plus a disposal fee.

Back