NOT MINE 300 Hurst On BAT (Portland, OR)

Just because it "sold" om BAT for $65K does not mean that's the final deal. Negotiations based on condition at pickup are common on eBay, BAT, CAB, etc. As are buyer's simply not paying, especially at BAT (although this auction was won by somebody with apparently a high-dollar win track record). I do not follow Hurst values but this one seemed grossly overpriced. Below is most recent Mecum activity. There is very little to go on for reference transactions, there at least.
1672500981770.png

For the recent 300 Hurst that sol don BAT yesterday, I am surprised it went so high. Maybe I am just out of touch. It was not low miles, it did not have cruise, tilt n tele, or a console. I don't begrudge the seller making a nice sale but it was just surprising. i am more excited about my recent BAT purchase of the 74 Imperial Crown Coupe for a fraction of the 300H sale price Best wishes for 2023

For the recent 300 Hurst that sol don BAT yesterday, I am surprised it went so high. Maybe I am just out of touch. It was not low miles, it did not have cruise, tilt n tele, or a console. I don't begrudge the seller making a nice sale but it was just surprising. i am more excited about my recent BAT purchase of the 74 Imperial Crown Coupe for a fraction of the 300H sale price Best wishes for 2023
Shill bidding goes on...

There is no shill bidding on BAT or you are kicked off the site. And there are no shenanigans like on EBay, when you win an auction you have to go through with it. If you don't, you get charged the buyers commission. They have your credit card info. The $65k bid was real and the car was sold.

There is no shill bidding on BAT or you are kicked off the site. And there are no shenanigans like on EBay, when you win an auction you have to go through with it. If you don't, you get charged the buyers commission. They have your credit card info. The $65k bid was real and the car was sold.
Yea right... go to Glassdoor.com and read up on the reviews for Barrett-Jackson Auction. I was just searching for their shady fake sales(?) from many years ago and found the glassdoor review rating. A little bit more searching and whoola the case were BJ was running their own cars through the line and shill bidding them up to essentially buy back their own cars. This made nation news way back in 2005/6 during the big real estate bubble where everyone was throwing money around. Just google "Barrett-Jackson’s Westworld Tent Turns Out to be a House of Cards" as with many powerful and rich people they have a ways and means to scrub things off the 'net.

Oh, how soon people forget in today's world.

In my research on BaT I found it was started by 1 guy and got to be a little more than he could handle and was approached by a notorious used car dealer family in California. They still had him run it but pumped it up (invested) with a staff for him too what you see today. And they have had many legal problems which lead to settlements and a non-disclosure agreement to keep it all quiet.

Yea right... go to Glassdoor.com and read up on the reviews for Barrett-Jackson Auction. I was just searching for their shady fake sales(?) from many years ago and found the glassdoor review rating. A little bit more searching and whoola the case were BJ was running their own cars through the line and shill bidding them up to essentially buy back their own cars. This made nation news way back in 2005/6 during the big real estate bubble where everyone was throwing money around. Just google "Barrett-Jackson’s Westworld Tent Turns Out to be a House of Cards" as with many powerful and rich people they have a ways and means to scrub things off the 'net.

In my research on BaT I found it was started by 1 guy and got to be a little more than he could handle and was approached by a notorious used car dealer family in California. They still had him run it but pumped it up (invested) with a staff for him too what you see today. And they have had many legal problems which lead to settlements and a non-disclosure agreement to keep it all quiet.

Maybe the final bid is not shill but if friends of sellers know the reserve (if it is a reserve auction), they can bid it up close to the reserve and then drop out hoping innocent independent potential buyers will continue bidding to take the auction beyond the reserve price. This can be done on Hemmings, eBay, BAT, etc.

Maybe the final bid is not shill but if friends of sellers know the reserve (if it is a reserve auction), they can bid it up close to the reserve and then drop out hoping innocent independent potential buyers will continue bidding to take the auction beyond the reserve price. This can be done on Hemmings, eBay, BAT, etc.
I think with BaT the whole shady shill bit is right in the comments with banning anything they construe as being 'Not constructive'. Auctions are a shady business period. In anytime I hear about something shady going on with people slipping out of prosecution with a settlement and admitting to "No wrongdoing" I think of the Southland TV Show Character Billy "Dewey" Dudeck line, "In 98 when I went to Venice I already knew how to drink, I just perfected it".

Just google "Barrett-Jackson’s Westworld Tent Turns Out to be a House of Cards" as with many powerful and rich people they have a ways and means to scrub things off the 'net.

Thank you that´s an interesting story !

You stated :

"In my research on BaT I found it was started by 1 guy and got to be a little more than he could handle and was approached by a notorious used car dealer family in California. They still had him run it but pumped it up (invested) with a staff for him too what you see today. And they have had many legal problems which lead to settlements and a non-disclosure agreement to keep it all quiet."

Sounds like parroting from the "interwebs" to me.

Okay, since you researched this in detail, you can easily provide the data your research garnered. Who is the "1" guy that started BaT? Who is the notorious used car dealer family in California? What was their investment and involvement, what specific legal problems lead to "settlements", site cases please, and what NDA's were agreed upon. Links to websites do not qualify as research. You know specifics, so what are they?
What impact would your research have on the auction of the Hurst?

You stated :

"In my research on BaT I found it was started by 1 guy and got to be a little more than he could handle and was approached by a notorious used car dealer family in California. They still had him run it but pumped it up (invested) with a staff for him too what you see today. And they have had many legal problems which lead to settlements and a non-disclosure agreement to keep it all quiet."

Sounds like parroting from the "interwebs" to me.

Okay, since you researched this in detail, you can easily provide the data your research garnered. Who is the "1" guy that started BaT? Who is the notorious used car dealer family in California? What was their investment and involvement, what specific legal problems lead to "settlements", site cases please, and what NDA's were agreed upon. Links to websites do not qualify as research. You know specifics, so what are they?
What impact would your research have on the auction of the Hurst?
We've been through this before in another thread, search "Bring A Trailer horror stories" and get you own opinion from the many posters that dealt with BaT over the years from the beginning of the site in many long-standing high-priced sport car forums and blogs.

Sorry about the one guy, he did have a co-founder and the notorious dealer family is now a 'Broker' (after the father's death) my bad.

And as far as NDA's and legal stuff, the rich and powerful have the ability to scrub that **** off the 'net so we have to rely on word of mouth. One such case I remember was in the early days of BaT of a woman that had some antique car that she didn't know the value of until friend told her BaT low balled the listing and she tried to cancel the auction, legal **** happened, California law I take prevailed on her side, BaT said it's the World Wide Internet and state law doesn't apply. I think they lost out on that one.
:realcrazy:

Lots of $$ for this one given the front end damage still present.
Yea good spotting, I'm surprised you could see that from the 100rds of thousands of miles of road grime built up on that stub frame that they thought some black spray paint would cover up.

:rofl:

Here's a hastily put together enlarged blow up of left vs right.

HURST.DAMAGE.FRAME.jpg

what specific legal problems lead to "settlements",
OK here's one recent one (I forgot about this one) "The Bring-a-Trailer SCAM that caught Hoovie!"
I followed this right from the get-go, I thought he bought it off of BJ or Mecum, but it was BaT.
Here's the quick VINwiki short version for a refresher. It was a lemon off of BJ then to BaT and Hoovie sold it on Mecum Barrett Jackson.
Final settlement from BaT was refunding Hoovies fees but he has said he made $$$$ off the tube video(s) that one I see just now is at 1.4M views.

(edit) And we won't mention the Cleetus McFarland rear ended Porche that he got off of CoPart (or have we) that was supposed to run & drive that had a broken engine block and transmission. They took the car right back and refunded all his money.

(second edit) I had a re-watch of Hoovie's trove on BJ to see what the SuperBird sold for (170k hammer) he did say he made money on it, like 14k but I think he spent quite a bit of money (and a lot of time). He threw some numbers out and I think his 5 grand spent on the SB work was a little low from my estimates for the time and effort spent, I would say more up around 10 grand. He took a bath on the little pickup & the Blazer but his Porsche saved the day and getting the Maybach for 40 grand was something. BJ really hyped the SuperBird as it is a true HEMI VIN and they suggested to put it back to it's original racing history state, so we may see it again in future auctions.

Last edited:
Some Conspiracy theorist say BAT is used for money laundering based on stupid prices stuff auctions to, and total hands off role BAT has in the financial transaction. Senseless to me as I doubt people washing loads of cash are doing it in a high visibility medium.

Yea good spotting, I'm surprised you could see that from the 100rds of thousands of miles of road grime built up on that stub frame that they thought some black spray paint would cover up.

Here's a hastily put together enlarged blow up of left vs right.

View attachment 574305

The most publicly discussed Fusie of all time?

Looks like the pitman arm boss may have a weld repair. (residual MIG wire on part)
1672855495948.png

Front xmember looks to have a vertical bend in it. Or maybe that's how it was built.
1672855691372.png

Trans cooler lines touching lower pulley?
1672855851420.png

Some Conspiracy theorist say BAT is used for money laundering based on stupid prices stuff auctions to, and total hands off role BAT has in the financial transaction. Senseless to me as I doubt people washing loads of cash are doing it in a high visibility medium.
The most publicly discussed Fusie of all time?

Looks like the pitman arm boss may have a weld repair. (residual MIG wire on part)
View attachment 574459

Front xmember looks to have a vertical bend in it. Or maybe that's how it was built.
View attachment 574464

Trans cooler lines touching lower pulley?
View attachment 574465
Heh you got better eyes than I do, how can you see through all the crud? LOL
Naa the crossover of the stub (k-frame I know where your coming from) has a curve (normal).
The transmission lines all bent/out of shape going back to the transmission set off my sloppy work bell, but the pulley view takes the cake.

Well it is a Hurst and BaT is now owned by Hurst publications... so run wild!

I like to see the new owner show up here and review our peanut gallery comments about the car.
Now that would be PRICELESS!

Buyer is on the FB group C Body Mopar Owners. Car is in transit, hope he posts more when he gets it.

I’m the one that bought the car. I understand it’s not perfect. Very few auction cars are, regardless of what the description says. I’ll spend a couple of years tinkering with it, like I have other cars before. I drive my cars, so I wouldn’t want a trailer queen. Will I make this one perfect? No. Will I enjoy it? Yes.

I’m the one that bought the car. I understand it’s not perfect. Very few auction cars are, regardless of what the description says. I’ll spend a couple of years tinkering with it, like I have other cars before. I drive my cars, so I wouldn’t want a trailer queen. Will I make this one perfect? No. Will I enjoy it? Yes.
Hey welcome, and thanks for joining us. A favorite past time here is to dissect cars that are for sale, hopefully no hard feelings regarding any previous posts. I hope you can find this site helpful with your new Hurst car, as we have many enthusiasts, and a lot of knowledge to share.

Back