318 air filter housing

bluefury361

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I was out messing with the Admiral and discovered an anomaly with the air filter housing.

Application....... 1969 Fury 318 with factory A/C, 2bbl carb.

I noticed the service sticker on the side of the housing was facing the firewall. I removed it and sure enough the "embosse front" was also facing the firewall. It appeared the housing was on backwards. I turned to the correct orientation and now the oil filler cap is opposite the valve cover that has the filler neck.
I thought Hummmmmm, valve covers are on the wrong side ..... but .... if switched the brackets that support the ign wire separators will be in the front of the engine. Dist is in the back.

Everything on the engine appears to be original and correct.
Is there anyone here who has a 318 C body and could take a look, or shoot a pic of their air filter housing...?

Will.

air filter 1 (Medium).jpg

air filter 2 (Medium).jpg

air filter 3 (Medium).jpg

air filter 4 (Medium).jpg

valve covers look good. air cleaner doesn't. the snorkel on mine points toward the battery. the mopar sticker is right behind the breather tube. also the breather elbow is at a different angle (should face forward more) and with a shorter hose. can't get a picture of mine at the moment but i grabbed an internet pic
008.jpg

valve covers look good. air cleaner doesn't. the snorkel on mine points toward the battery. the mopar sticker is right behind the breather tube. also the breather elbow is at a different angle (should face forward more) and with a shorter hose. can't get a picture of mine at the moment but i grabbed an internet pic
008.jpg

My pictures show the housing mounted backwards. If I rotate it 180 degrees everything looks like the one in your picture .... except that the breather hose nipple is on the passenger side. I doubt that there was a hose that ran from right to left and connect with the breather.
One other thing is that my Suburban is a early build. I wonder if I have a 68 carry over filter housing.....? Or perhaps with the A/C compressor mounted it interfered with the snorkel .....? Dosen't seem likely.

Back