318 wont start

MoparFlores

Reaction score
Hello everyone and Good afternoon

So my engine wont start. I just wanted to ask what you guys recommend for me to do. Now keep in mind I have very little prior experience working on cars and this is my first car give me a break here guys. So the 318 on my 68 fury 3 wont start now I know I have spark I have brand new spark plugs, spark plug wires, coil, battery, and battery cables. I checked all the plugs and they are giving me spark at a .035 gap. I also have a brand "new" carter carburetor but I did not mess with it so my fuel mixture is most likely not right but I am assuming it should at least start. Right? I was told to check for compression but I don't know how to do that I was told by someone that I can just pull out a spark plug at a time and stick my finger just over the hole and have someone crank it and feel for compression can anyone confirm? So anyways what do you guys think I need to be doing or checking.

Fuel pump? If you are sure you have spark I would check to see if fuel is actually getting to your new carb.

What changed from when it did start to when it won't start.
Fix anything? Put in an thing new?

What changed from when it did start to when it won't start.
Fix anything? Put in an thing new?

The only thing that changed was that I got a new carburetor but even then the car started right after I threw it on but it didn't stay on for very long. It shutoff and then it won't start at all, it does rumble like its about to start but it never does.

Well then you need a compression check.
Or at the very least check and make sure rotor is turning when you crank the engine.

The only thing that changed was that I got a new carburetor
So we start with the carburetor.

...then the car started right after I threw it on but it didn't stay on for very long.
Are you saying it started, ran, and then shut down?

It shutoff and then it won't start at all, it does rumble like its about to start but it never does.

It's the carburetor.

Yep soak it down throw a match on it hurry up and turn it over sucking the fire into the intake to unflood it. To the OP don't do this I am joking about another thread.

If the timing chain is worn and the valve timing is off a few degrees it will also throw off your ignition timing to the point where it might not run. You could try making minor adjustments to ignition timing advancing it or retarding it a few degrees and crank the motor between each adjustment to see if it will start. Remember to mark the original position of the distributor before you try this. I would make sure your spark plug wires are correctly routed and that none have been crossed by mistake. Try cleaning and gaping your points.

Back