383-440

I was always told to look at the top of the block, on the 440 there is a pad where they stamp different codes at the front near the driver side head. The 383 doesn't have this pad.

Alan

The RB engines, 413, 426 wedge and 440 will have this pad with the engine displacement stamped on it.

index.php

Plus they are wider and taller than the b motor (383). You can tell if you eyeball good enough.

B engines, 350, 361, 383 and 400 look like this. No pad near the distributor.

006.JPG

Just to confuse you a little more.... they did make a 383 RB block in 1959 and 1960 for the Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga, but they are very rare. I've never seen one, but they are out there.

The RB block is taller than a B and is why they are wider

Note the right side .. RB deck is taller note the rusty but non-greasy taller deck above water pump housing mating surface

857473c4.jpg

RB separation above WP housing top mating surface

1000x1000.jpg

B deck surface flush with wp housing top mating surface

hrdp_0711_12_z%2Bmopar_383%2Bcustom_comp_cams_solid_flat_tappet_cam.jpg

857473c4.jpg

Just to confuse you a little more.... they did make a 383 RB block in 1959 and 1960 for the Chrysler Windsor and Saratoga, but they are very rare. I've never seen one, but they are out there.

and 58 only 350 Low deck B engine :)

you mentioned above

Not even under the hood at a show ?

Nope, can't say that I have.

I may have seen one and didn't realize that's what it was...

Late fifties Mopars are very rare around here. They didn't make it through the winters well and had a lot of rust issues, especially the 57 and 58s. Then the scrap prices have always been higher... so the survival rate was pretty low.

thanks guys for all the pics and info.still have some pieces to get out of the way ac comp ps pump etc.but with all this i can figure it out

(update) still don`t know if its 383 or 440 but it runs good . have`nt pulled any parts to look at the block

I have one sitting in my stable - a boat anchor.

Back