Headers on 383

ethurlow

Reaction score
Hey guys! I have a 66 300 with a 383. I got some sanderson headers off Summit & can’t make them fit to save my life. They are hitting the control arm brackets. Wondering if I need to unbolt motor mounts & raise the engine or take it out

Did you check on the Sanderson website BEFORE you bought them from Summit? They might fit the engine but NOT the chassis the engine is in. Considering that Sanderson products oritinally were oriented toward the street rod market. Which means more of a '32 Ford body rather than a C-body Chrysler body.

Regards,
CBODY67

Did you check on the Sanderson website BEFORE you bought them from Summit? They might fit the engine but NOT the chassis the engine is in. Considering that Sanderson products oritinally were oriented toward the street rod market. Which means more of a '32 Ford body rather than a C-body Chrysler body.

Regards,
CBODY67
Yes sir I did. Called them to make sure, it is supposed to fit

Might they have some guidance on how to get them installed?

Looking at Summits website only shows a center dump header for a '66 300.

snh-dd2-sec_xl.jpg

I don't think that's going to work for you. The fact the person you spoke with could only say they are supposed to work, is very telling.

For reference, here's a picture of the Schumacher Tri Y headers. You can see the middle tubes are further back to clear the steering and suspension.

63C669DF-D164-4FF2-8DAE-E9DFDFA6A4D1_1_201_a_1080x.jpg

I have an old set of headers that came off of a '66 or '68 Fury with a 383. I have more pictures if your interested.

IMG_0033.JPG

My experience with the Schumacher tri-y wasn’t optimal. I did a big block swap for a guy I worked with, I had everything for a nice factory appearing install including the double bell crank kickdown linkage. He bought the tri-y’s for me to install because they seemed easiest for his car. I found that you couldn’t run the factory kickdown linkage with them because of where they went in relation to the linkage boss on the bell housing. We had to use a Lokar cable unit which was less than ideal. For that reason alone, I wouldn’t run them on an automatic car again. I have yet to see a manual car with them to know if they interfere there too.
Travis..

Edited out incorrect auto correct

Last edited:

View attachment 646184

I don't think that's going to work for you. The fact the person you spoke with could only say they are supposed to work, is very telling.

For reference, here's a picture of the Schumacher Tri Y headers. You can see the middle tubes are further back to clear the steering and suspension.

View attachment 646187
Center dump like that would be very difficult to bolt a pipe to even if the header itself fit. K member interference likely.

Hey guys! I have a 66 300 with a 383. I got some sanderson headers off Summit & can’t make them fit to save my life. They are hitting the control arm brackets. Wondering if I need to unbolt motor mounts & raise the engine or take it out
Photos?

I took it one step further and went to the Sanderson web site. Their Chrysler headers are made for street rods (think 32 Ford) or the like.

I don't think that center dump header will fit either.... and then I can't see with that design that there would be any performance gain over a stock manifold... In fact, I wouldn't be surprised of a loss in performance.

Perhaps the center-dump headers might work on older Chryslers which had similar exhaust manifold outlet flange locations?

CBODY67

My experience with the Schumacher tri-y wasn’t optimal. I did a big block swap for a guy I worked with, I had everything for a nice factory appearing install including the double bell crank kickdown linkage. He bought the tri-y’s for me to install because they seemed easiest for his car. I found that you couldn’t run the factory kickdown linkage with them because of where they went in relation to the linkage boss on the bell housing. We had to use a Lokar cable unit which was less than ideal. For that reason alone, I wouldn’t run them on an automatic car again. I have yet to see a manual car with them to know if they interfere there too.
Travis..

Edited out incorrect auto correct
I have Schumacher tri-y's on one of my cars. 1966 Chrysler, 451 stroker, Edelbrock heads. I was quite happy with the ease of installation. I used a mini starter and I had to grind down a pad on the side of the block that was hitting one header (they mentioned this in the instructions). I had to remove the pin for the kickdown linkage lower bellcrank during installation, but was able to reinstall it after the headers were in.

Last edited:
I have Schumacher tri-y's on one of my cars. 1966 Chrysler, 451 stroker, Edelbrock heads. I was quite happy with the ease of installation. I used a mini starter and I had to grind down a pad on the side of the block that was hitting one header (they mentioned this in the instructions). I had to remove the pin for the kickdown linkage lower bellcrank during installation, but was able to reinstall it after the headers were in.

[/URL]
Looking at your pics, those look to fit pretty well. I liked the headers, but I don’t recall having any room for the bell crank to swing. It’s been quite a while since I did that job and don’t for sure remember the exact deal other than I couldn’t make it work. Kind of a drag, I thought the Lokar cable set up was kinda cheesy and wouldn’t last like the stock parts.
Travis..

Back