383 dual point dist

Dual point was a performance add-on and simply extended the dwell

Nice job cleaning it up! I should have done the same with mine.
Question.. does your rotor kinda float, meaning it's on, but easy to remove? My setup is exactly the same as yours in the collar height vs the module. I just feel the rotor is not secure with. I was thinking of grinding it, but taking measurements, it's only 1/32" from bottoming out anyway.

View attachment 372245
I don't recall any issues with it being lose. Is the magnetic sleeve pushed all the way down?

I can only say there is a big difference in performance for me after switching up to the Pertronix. I'm happy with the unit.

Yes. By loose, I mean it's fairly easy to pull off. Not a pressure fit how does your feel?
You know... I'd have to go out and pull the cap and check to be 100% sure. I seem to remember it fitting OK though.

Next time I get a chance (it's in my Barracuda) I'll do that.

Thanks. I'm just curious. I've seen some posting where guys actually shaved down the bottom of their rotors. Mine seems ok, car runs great, so I assume it would have flown off already. I even bent the spring a little to give it a little more tension. I have an Accel cap and rotor. Maybe a difference in rotor bottom length product to product.

Thanks for posting that video as well. I always seem to run into the good repair/restore videos after I've done something. LOL!

Thanks. I'm just curious. I've seen some posting where guys actually shaved down the bottom of their rotors. Mine seems ok, car runs great, so I assume it would have flown off already. I even bent the spring a little to give it a little more tension. I have an Accel cap and rotor. Maybe a difference in rotor bottom length product to product.

Thanks for posting that video as well. I always seem to run into the good repair/restore videos after I've done something. LOL!

If you have one laying around, try installing an original stack rotor, and see how it fits. I don't trust anything from Accel. . .

If you have one laying around, try installing an original stack rotor, and see how it fits. I don't trust anything from Accel. . .
I don't, it was toast. I have a bad habbit of tossing stuff and just moving on....except the wife. Lol

I'll order another one from a different manufacturer and compare it to the one if have.

Btw ... Your avatar is the best... Ned Ryerson... Ground Hog Day. Great movie!

Dual point was a performance add-on and simply extended the dwell

Nice job cleaning it up! I should have done the same with mine.
Question.. does your rotor kinda float, meaning it's on, but easy to remove? My setup is exactly the same as yours in the collar height vs the module. I just feel the rotor is not secure with. I was thinking of grinding it, but taking measurements, it's only 1/32" from bottoming out anyway.

View attachment 372245

Back when I was turning wrenches, I found there was a certain brand that had loose tolerances for fit.
The Blue Streak or Prestolite brand was a favourite of mine as they seemed to have quality control down better than some other suppliers at the time.

Prestolite was who made the dual points. Usually Mopar and Filko are the best, Blue streak are really hard to find now for dual points..

Last edited:
I don't recall any issues with it being lose. Is the magnetic sleeve pushed all the way down?

I wanted to ask you as well... How does the vacuum advance plate come off? I watched that video which was great, but he doesn't mention how it was removed. I'd like to replace the ground strap, service mine and get it all cleaned out/painted. I should have done this first, but I admit I was a little intimidated by the age and lack of experience with a point style distributor. So hind sight has me planning on taking it all apart, and servicing it.

You know... I'd have to go out and pull the cap and check to be 100% sure. I seem to remember it fitting OK though.

Next time I get a chance (it's in my Barracuda) I'll do that.

No worries... Sorted. I bought a new rotor by Standard on Rockauto. Tossed the Accel in the trash. The fit is how it should be now, very tight.

FWIW, I rebuilt a Prestolite dual point. Pretty easy, including pressing in new bushings. The bushings are standard size Oilite bronze. I even found a new oil cup on eBay. Mancini (and probably others) have the vacuum advance. I converted to pointless electronic with a Pertronix ignition.

tS2uSGZ.jpg

uodRPMk.jpg

A video... His voice can put you to sleep, but it's good content.

Thanks for posting that video. After seeing the job you did on yours, I took mine out yesterday and restored it, minus new bushing as mine were still good. I'm really happy I did. I polished the crap out of everything, replaced the ground strap, released and greased the seized plates and greased the weights. It works great now. I think the plates weren't clean enough for a good ground. All good now! Thanks again for the inspiration!! Lol.

IMG_20200508_140509445.jpg

IMG_20200508_191129497.jpg

IMG_20200509_123458481.jpg

Back