383 power steering bracket TRW with A/C

OneEyed

Reaction score
I guess my car has the crappy style P/S bracket, self tensioning or whatever and the belt never really gets tight and the whole thing is wobbly. Anyways, I read somewhere about a replacement bracket that is actually solid so I bought it and was reading the directions and it says "not for use with a/c". So now what? Which bracket do I need? It physically looks like it will work...

This is the one I bought, might have been a different seller though...http://www.ebay.com/itm/64-69-Mopar...Parts_Accessories&hash=item58ad64e040&vxp=mtr

1967 Newport, 383, A/C.

try bouchion performance. i just replaced my constantly leaking power steering pump with a new saginaw pump and brackets and hose.they told me that they have brackets for all types of mopar power steering pump. the main reason i went with the new saginaw pump was the limited availabilty of the federal pump parts. very good company to deal with thier number is 843-744-6539 owners name is randy

I just put on a new TRW pump over the summer, so i dont really want to buy another one. There has to be a way around this. I saw it in a forum somewhere before I joined up here which led me to buy that bracket...I guess ill try and find that forum and re-read it. Thanks for the help though!

sorry i wasn't suggesting you change the pump. i was just giving you a source to check out to see if they could help as randy told me he could supply any number of choices of brackets for mopars. i would give him a call very helpful guy.

I saw on a different forum that the "Not For A/C" only seems to apply to non C body cars. Any thoughts on that? I may have to join there and ask as I sure would like to get my steering in order so I can start cruising, nice weather here in Iowa finally!

So without any new info, I decided to go ahead and see if it fits. I pulled out that old bracket and threw it as far as I could. Then i spent the rest of the evening installing the new one. The nut that was welded on the one side of the bracket quickly became unwelded and the bolt hole that goes through the reservoir side didn't want to line up, so I filed it out oblong almost twice its size to get it to finally fit. I would have just quickly done it with my drill, but both batteries are far beyond dead. I have to know ahead of time when I want to use them otherwise they don't hold a charge much longer than a day.

So it took all of about 4 hours then had to wait til the next day to buy a shorter belt. Everything seems okay and is very solid. It looks like if the tension bolt came loose and the pump slid back then the belts coming off the A/C would rub against it, so I'm gonna have to keep a close eye on it. On the plus side, if that did happen and I lost a belt, there is still one more belt on this setup.

While I was at it, I got the upper radiator hose replaced, thermostat, fuel filter and hoses, low pressure P/S hose and all clamps replaced with screw down style.

Next project will be glue gun PDR!

Back