413 Cam Selection

Chryslertoo

Reaction score
I'm rehashing a 413 rebuild my neighbor did for me for my 1964 Chrysler 300 (non letter). Rehash due to leaking head gasket(he is a Ford guy, what can I say?). Due to contaminated oil damage, I'd like to change out the cam with a better selection. I'd like to do this one time as the car has factory air so the tear-down is a PITA. The engine was bored out .030 and new Badger pistons installed that I purchased some 30 years ago. Some pertinent information:
516 heads w/ hard seats (73.5cc)
bore 4.22
3.23 rear
stock intake, exhaust manifolds
stock carb (4bbl)
deck clearance .093 inches (trouble?) (measured cylinders 1&4)
Calculated CR 9.1 - 9.2
Dual exhaust
Stock TC
Curb weight 4400 lbs
My goal is to have a nice reliable trip cruiser with a bit more zip than original. I don't plan on street racing or strip visits. My concern is the relatively large deck clearance of the Badger pistons. They were supposed to be 10.1 compression flat top pistons. With today's gas, the lowered compression coupled with Felpro .038" gaskets (9.2) is not a bad thing. However, I'll have a quench depth of .131" which is a far cry from the "ideal" .045" to .030 I've read about. Obviously with that car I'm looking for some low end grunt to get it moving without the spark knock at mid range and hard acceleration and good vacuum to make it stop. Any suggestions on cam selection? (nothing like the Holy Grail, huh?) I've done a lot of investigating on dynamic compression ratios and using pump gas (91-93 octane), but ranges are all over the place. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
sany0045-jpg.jpg

Back