440 Build

BDR529

Reaction score
Well, it's been a while, and the last topic where we discussed this build was in a Big Block into Small Block conversation, so I figured I'd start fresh. I finally got a 440 block that wasn't cracked and had it it bored .030 over and cleaned with new cam bearings installed. My plan is to reuse the connecting rods and crankshaft. I'm moving very slow with projects due to funds but here's what I have so far. I got a set of Keith Black KB237 pistons. I got a Sealed Power piston ring set (E-424K 30) Sealed Power connecting rod bearings (CB 527P) and for the main bearings, Perfect Circle (PMB-2067 P and PMB-2457 P). I have a friend at a machine shop who is going to press out my old pistons for me and I was hoping to start building the motor this weekend and at least get the pistons and crank installed. Here are some questions I have before I get started. First, is there any website or a manual somewhere that gives a good, step-by-step breakdown on how to rebuild a 440? I've never done this before, but I am an aircraft mechanic and tearing it down was easy enough. Also, what bolts need to be replaced? Should I be looking at replacement connecting rod bolts and main bearing bolts? If so, any suggestions on good quality stuff? I'm not looking to go too crazy on this build, I want to keep it on pump gas, 91 is fine. I still need to make a cam selection and get head work done, but for now I'm just trying to get the crank and pistons in since I have what I need at the moment to do that. Any help would be great! Thanks!

You can find how to rebuild mopar big blocks on amazon, ebay ect. It'll give torque values step by step procedures ect. You might find mopar muscles article interesting back to the basics... it covers a stock 440 rebuild. A real nice and extremely knowledgeable guy to talk to on cams is jim at racer brown. That's who i went with anyhow he grinds all his cams custom.

Company called ARP is in your back yard in Ventura and has the bolt market pretty much sowed up 'cuz the whole world knows their the best but not the cheapest. Pull 'um up on your 'puter. I'd do main cap bolts for sure. That's where your heaviest torq is (and the factory bolts have been known to stretch) Beyond that I'd invest in at least one tap to clean up all threaded head bolt holes in the block and then a good boil out before you start putting things together and remember : cleanliness is next to godliness. Our friends and neighbors here might have more thoughts but this is a minimum must as far as I'm concerned, Jer

arp bolts are the best, new rod bolts and resize the rods, new main bolts and have the line bore checked. best of luck

the new bolts wont stretch like the old ones and the rod caps may be out of round, replace the bolts then resize the rod. same for the mains, the arp bolts are so superior they have more clamping force and can distort the hole that's the reason for the resize. if you used main studs you would need a line hone but with main bolts you may be ok. better to ck now than have a problem later. when you hear may engine was blueprinted this is part of that

Back