Plymouth 440 Super Commando w/ 727

00D0D_cIs0ye220fT_600x450.jpg

00j0j_jyqhHjqiWYA_50x50c.jpg

00N0N_l4K6Qg73786_600x450.jpg

00R0R_gtQ6lmFswAq_600x450.jpg

00V0V_jd2wqGshPiY_600x450.jpg

00505_3qVM4N19IB6_600x450.jpg

From the ad:

This engine came from my 1969 Plymouth Sport Fury which had 82K original miles. The original owner ordered the Sport Fury with the "Police Interceptor" package, one of the benefits of being a police officer in a small Indiana town. I was the third owner of the car. I bought the car around 1984 and pulled the engine around 1989. It was a very strong runner. The engine and transmission have never been modified or taken apart. Its still the way it was the day I pulled it back in 1989. Stock intake and exhaust manifolds still installed. I believe I have the original Carter AVS carb and air cleaner as well, just have to find them. The engines original 727 is included with the 440. $2500

$2500 is a little pricey for what is basically just a core, but I guess the "date correct" B body guys will be all over this. He should have kept the '69 Sport Fury with the 440.

I can't give away a bare block 440 with heads, and a complete engine, not running went from $1200 to $2500? I need to start smoking more Colorado Organic Sticky Purple Punch. :wtf:

That's a $500 core all day.
Here's how I look at it, in my area a basic 440 core is $400-600, HP manifolds as a set are $250-400, intake is $50, 906 heads as cores are $75-100, #187 oil pan is $50-75, big block 727 core is $150-200....

Add it up and you have minimum of $975 plus assorted odds and ends.

I would be inclined to offer around $750 if it was local to me, just so I could get the bare block for my 70.

Here's how I look at it, in my area a basic 440 core is $400-600, HP manifolds as a set are $250-400, intake is $50, 906 heads as cores are $75-100, #187 oil pan is $50-75, big block 727 core is $150-200....

Add it up and you have minimum of $975 plus assorted odds and ends.

I would be inclined to offer around $750 if it was local to me, just so I could get the bare block for my 70.

But the price of all those listed are devalued by being attached to what could be a useless block.
It's a gamble, which is why I said six.

But the price of all those listed are devalued by being attached to what could be a useless block.
It's a gamble, which is why I said six.
Its a gamble you're sure to win. I doubt the block is junk. Highly doubt it. Damn near any block can be repaired now.

A friend just had a windowed 426 hemi block repaired.

The buyer of my 426 hemi was able to cut the bad journal on the crank and have it sleeved.....

A 69 440HP, is worth rebuilding. As per the previous B body comment.

I paid $150 for a late 69 non-HP 440 block with no crank, or rods, just a bare block.

$2500 is stupid crazy BS money. Numbers matching has gotten things so far out of whack, date correct, but still from a C body. Not that the guy at B-J or Meccum will ever know as he pays the premium. Glad I have my cheap stash of blocks, I feel richer than I did yesterday.

Its a gamble you're sure to win. I doubt the block is junk. Highly doubt it. Damn near any block can be repaired now.
A friend just had a windowed 426 hemi block repaired.
The buyer of my 426 hemi was able to cut the bad journal on the crank and have it sleeved.....

Hypothetical: what if the story is BS and the block and trans came from a junkyard, where the donor car's hood was open and the engine had been receiving small amounts of rainwater with each storm, through the intake where the carb was missing and through the distributor hole, over a period of 20 years. Could a machine shop get the engine unstuck? How?

Hypothetical: what if the story is BS and the block and trans came from a junkyard, where the donor car's hood was open and the engine had been receiving small amounts of rainwater with each storm, through the intake where the carb was missing and through the distributor hole, over a period of 20 years. Could a machine shop get the engine unstuck? How?

Nowadays anything is possible. May it be economically feasible? Probably not. But if its maybe a Hemi or 6 pack car it could be worth it to the owner. Electrolysis goes a long way. The cylinders will need work. If its been leaking into the block without a hood or something maybe even all 8 will need to be sleeved. Something else to think about - if its an engine in that scenario thats been through varying temperatures over 20 years, say a northern car, the block may have cracked from rainwater and freezing unfreezing. Finding a skilled machinist to repair a cracked block can be challenging & $$$. Theres a few methods to stitch or weld it back but some could be said to be less reliable then others, and may not hold up for longevities sake without needing additional repairs in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back