50 year-old stock cooling system

Heating, Cooling & AC

1. furious70

furious70 Senior Member

I mean, cars overheated a lot more in the good ole days than now, didn't they?

And yes, sometimes our mods make things worse.

2. polara71

polara71 Old Man with a Hat

Yes! A lot. I also think the cooling materials used were inferior to today's. So if they weren't maintained they would degrade more adverse.

3. marty koirtyohann

marty koirtyohann Member

cause they dont watch what they r doig & many guy thing oem chryslers r junk unless they mondifiy them . they they open a new big can of worms then they put aluminum radiators on the & electric fans the junk the Chrysler ignition for the full race MSD then they gripe wi\hen it breaks , while if te had the mopar electronic ie a simple 2 bolt &1 sv=crew ti change it out

4. marty koirtyohann

marty koirtyohann Member

or theu put on a aftermarket HEI GM STYLE & A 1 WIRE GM CHARGING SYSTEM & JUNK THE OEM but if they understood the stock ones they would know its way better than the gm crap ever was' been there none that . & they have the nerve to to call that a UOGRADE but i think its a down grade

5. furious70

furious70 Senior Member

I certainly do suffer from many of those things...MSD, 1 wire alt, aluminum rad, sanden ac compressor, modern condenser, 8 pesky fuel squirters, and 2 insufferable hair dryers...

• Like Like x 2
  6. marty koirtyohann

marty koirtyohann Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

upload_2021-6-11_9-23-9.jpeg
    This car. Three months old, pulled the trailer and hauled seven people out west and back Aug. 63. No trailer tow package but dual air and every other option available and a 383 2bbl.
    AC was not common back then and many other cars suffered cooling issues. A common site was a canvas back full of water hanging in front of the grille to replenish the radiator after a boil over. This car never ran hot or overheated all through the mountains or coming home through the deserts of Cali and AZ. It got so hot under the hood somewhere in AZ the plastic battery caps melted into gobs of plastic. That right rear tire suffered a blow-out possibly from the heat but car never missed a beat. Young as I was, I do remember Dad saying the engineers at work told him just by ordering a/c he would have all the cooling he needed pulling the trailer. They were right.

• Like Like x 3
  8. polara71

polara71 Old Man with a Hat

Looks like the car in the "62" thread ...

9. marty koirtyohann

marty koirtyohann Member

this was my dads care i think it was a 59 or 60 savoy it had a 225 slant 6 with 3 on the tree we drove it all over the usa bulling a homemade camper it was a step side pick up bed with a army wall tent on it it went through a tornado . then dad bought the one seen in the pic we kept it will 1967 when he got killed in a ditch cave in it was quite the beast not real fast but it would tow anything including a log trailer with severial big logs on it . no trailer towing on it either & no ac'

old camper.jpg

positive 2.jpg