'65 300/newport steering column

calicruzn6

Reaction score
Okay, so i recently picked up a 300 as a parts car for my Newport. Need some advice or at least encouragement for swapping the 300's steering column into the Newport. Will there be a problem swapping in a non-tilt column where a tilt used to be? I hope i won't have to swap the sub-frame too.
Don't worry that i'm ruining a 300 to improve a cheapo Newport, it's plenty trashed that i picked it up for a few hundred bucks, as i said, parts car.
Just to update y'all: Swapping the 300's running 383 for Newport's lame 383, but that's just while i'm having a 440 built with a lopey cam, High Nines-Low Tens compression, hooker super comp headers and 12 inch cherry bombs. Tired of these sh8tty hondas and subarus running around thinking they have badass exhaust.

Okay, so i recently picked up a 300 as a parts car for my Newport. Need some advice or at least encouragement for swapping the 300's steering column into the Newport. Will there be a problem swapping in a non-tilt column where a tilt used to be? I hope i won't have to swap the sub-frame too.
Don't worry that i'm ruining a 300 to improve a cheapo Newport, it's plenty trashed that i picked it up for a few hundred bucks, as i said, parts car.
Just to update y'all: Swapping the 300's running 383 for Newport's lame 383, but that's just while i'm having a 440 built with a lopey cam, High Nines-Low Tens compression, hooker super comp headers and 12 inch cherry bombs. Tired of these sh8tty hondas and subarus running around thinking they have badass exhaust.

The column should bolt right up. How's the grill medallion on your 300 parts car?

Keep in mind, the motor mount provisions on '65 blocks are different that those of later years. The later blocks need to be drilled and tapped to accept the motor mount brackets. Also, anything with 10+ compression on crappy CA gas will detonate.

Might there be some differences in the turn signal switch between the tilt and non-tilt columns? But with the same electrical plug-in? Seems like I remember seeing something about a "Bowden Cable" for the tilt column, in my '66 Chrysler FSM.

Let those imports that might sound like "p____d off weed whackers" play their own game. As an "amusement" rather than something to be challenged. Bad thing, to me, is that they'll spend $10K on their engines alone!

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back