65 318 Poly Mini Starter?

mopar_4life

Reaction score
Good Morning! I know that the big blocks can run a mini starter out of the 90 Dakotas. My question is my father has a 65 Satellite with the 318 Poly in it and he was wondering if you can do the same conversion with it. I don't know if it's just the later small blocks that use that starter. I figured I would ask the group.

No, the early Polys have a different starter mount and distance to flywheel, so it won't work.

There is a converted modern starter that can be mounted on early Polys, you can find it for sale on eBay from time to time. But it's expensive ($250), and not easy to find a correct position for it, because of interference of the steering links and the exhaust. I know, I've been there with my '58 Plymouth. In the end, I gave up and went back to the OEM starter.

I'm positive at least in 65 that the standard starter is interchangeable between all V8's including polys. It's likely the mini starter would also work although I haven't tried that. Apparently in the 1950's poly engines that's not the case but I'm unfamiliar with those.

If it came factory with a gear reduction starter, the mini starter will swap ok.

The confusion is because some truck applications and cars 61 and earlier used a direct drive starter.

Kevin

The earlier Poly motors used the cast iron torqueflites ( or powerflites ) with an extended crankshaft. 1962 and up came with the modern style aluminum torqueflites. I would think it would work on a 1965 Poly.

Back