Got my Newport running!

Snotty

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
As I've ben having electrical gremlins since October, my Newport hasn't been running. Since we are moving at the end of June, I needed to remedy that!

I pulled all of the connectors from the Bulkhead Connector and attempted to clean all of the ends. I had a good result as my interior lights were burning when I opened the door (they weren't) and they were much brighter. Turned the key and my dash lights came on nice and bright. Turned the key... nothing. Put it in Neutral (as I've been having to do for close to two years)... nothing. I mean, not even a bump by the starter.

Grabbed my remote button, hooked it up to the two posts on the Starter relay... nothing. A week later I jacked the car up and put my remote directly on the starter connectors... nothing. After consultation with my Buddy, Big Chris, he suggested I have the starter bench tested as it might be the problem.

Forgoing that, I bought a new starter. Not asking for one, they sold me a mini-starter. I'll say, it was much easier to install than the old one was to remove. After realizing I hadn't aligned it correctly, I adjusted it, reattached the cable, put the key in and... viola!! With some help with some carb cleaner it fired right up!

Thank you Jesus! Now I can load it on a trailer and get it to Fresno in two weeks.

Just to check, I climbed in today and checked: fired right up! Yes, I'm happy!

Those little starters really crank too!

I am not sure you can still get a full size starter. When I was looking a few years ago all I saw at the standard outlets (RA, Auto zone, advance, etc.) were the mini starters. And I agree, they really give 'em a spin!

I am not sure you can still get a full size starter. When I was looking a few years ago all I saw at the standard outlets (RA, Auto zone, advance, etc.) were the mini starters. And I agree, they really give 'em a spin!
I was wondering of that were so. Interesting, the core charge for my old was is only $2.15. Sheesh!

did you lose the lovely Chrysler starter sound by installing a mini?
The starter I just replaced was a replacement some 15 years ago. It, while being the large type, did not have the wine wine wine sound of the old starters. Kind of missed it.

The new one sounds like my Durango!

Back