65-68 Chrysler Grille Styling - comments and questions

darth_linux

Reaction score
So I'm just kind of nerding out a little bit, looking at the evolution of the 65-68 Chrysler Grille style elements. Thought I'd post what I notice, and would love to hear your thoughts and comments as well.

65 - retains the trapezoidal shape in the center section, as seen on the '64 Newport, but headlights on 300 and NYer feature the glass cover and look "flush". Point of front fenders is softer, angled back.
66 - trapezoidal shape is still there, but much more subdued. Headlights are more "recessed". Point of front fenders is angled forward, giving illusion of motion
67 - trapezoidal shape is basically gone, now features a split grill look with protruding headlights, reminiscent of the 64 Imperial. Point of front fenders is straight up and down
68 - the grille now has a pronounced "beak" which would carry over into the fuselage bodies, headlights are more recessed, similar to the 66. Point of front fenders is almost gone, now nearly flush with hood.

These are just what I noticed. What do you notice? What are your thoughts on these changes from a design perspective?

65 front.jpg

66 front.jpg

67 front side.jpg

68 newport.jpg

I always thought the design of the 68 Newport and New Yorker grills was extremely well done. Although there’s a prominent beak and recessed lights, it’s still enclosed and doesn’t portrude out the front end quite like the 300. It’s a unique design and certainly far better looking than many full size cars of the era! Of course, I do love the 300 front end for the sake of the hidden headlights. However, if the same beak could’ve been kept and still had hidden headlights, it would’ve been a complete knockout imo

I like how the '67 Chrysler grille comes toward the front of the car at the outside edge of the headlights.

I like how the '67 Chrysler grille comes toward the front of the car at the outside edge of the headlights.
Yes, the '66 does that as well. It's one of my favorite features of the '66 because the taillights do the same, and if you look at the car from directly above, the front and back are basically mirror images of each other.

My very first car was a 65 newport, the front end did have to grow on me, but when only a handful of kids in high school had cars it was the Best. My 2 favorites of the bunch are 66 and 68 300's front and back. 66 grill just looks, coming after you look. Always liked the 67 300 tail lights were unique. They ALL had their own personalities though.

I enhanced my 68 grille by blacking out the backdrop and polished the " ribs"
Looks much better in my opinion.

1000001722.jpg

All are good designs, with their integration into the body lines and orientations. In some cases, some black paint can make them look better, as @cbarge illustrates.

As to "as produced boldness", I like the '66 Newport best. With the wider chrome bars and such. The others do not seem to match that degree, as produced. The '67 Newport looks nice, but is much more fragile as the mesh is stamped, satin-anodized aluminum.

Of course, the absolute nicest-looking items are the '67 and '68 Chrysler 300s, with my favorite the '68 version.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

All are good designs, with their integration into the body lines and orientations. In some cases, some black paint can make them look better, as @cbarge illustrates.

As to "as produced boldness", I like the '66 Newport best. With the wider chrome bars and such. The others do not seem to match that degree, as produced. The '67 Newport looks nice, but is much more fragile as the mesh is stamped, satin-anodized aluminum.

Of course, the absolute nicest-looking items are the '67 and '68 Chrysler 300s, with my favorite the '68 version.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
When viewed from straight on, the ‘66 Newport front end has some blockiness I don’t care for, but when viewed normally, ie not squatting it looks amazing. It’s my preference as well, although I admit the 68 is a close second.

Last edited:
Ive always been partial to hide away headlights, LTDs, Torino GTs, early Grand prixs, Eldorados, Rivieras..... they all looked tough. But I am a Chrysler guy!

This is why I enjoy Motor's Manuals so much. They each cover a 7 year period. Back in the day, before Al Gore invented the innernet, one could run home and go to the fine literature on their bookshelf to figure out what they just seen in traffic. You can get them on ebay now. I would spend hours browsing..

IMG_4385.jpg

Back