65 Chrysler rag joint to u-joint- which one?

Carsavior

Reaction score
Hi all- newby Carsavior here. Got a prob with my 65 New Yorker. The rag joint clamp touches the exhaust flange when the car is accelerating. I need to replace it with something smaller. I see a post where this has been done, with a u-joint from flaming river. I just wanted to know which one fits the old C's, and how much trouble is it to swap out? Does the column have to come out or can you just work around it? Thanks- Pat

Hi all- newby Carsavior here. Got a prob with my 65 New Yorker. The rag joint clamp touches the exhaust flange when the car is accelerating. I need to replace it with something smaller. I see a post where this has been done, with a u-joint from flaming river. I just wanted to know which one fits the old C's, and how much trouble is it to swap out? Does the column have to come out or can you just work around it? Thanks- Pat

Hey Pat welcome. I would like to know the same thing. It looks like, on my car, the lower shaft needs to have the flange cut off. I'd like to have the correct part before I do it for less down time.

65 chryslers dont have a rag joint , they have something similar to a CV plunge joint. pictures would help your diagnosis. happy to help.

Welcome to the site!
I'm still realtively new to the C body world myself and dont have an answer but look forward to the solution!

Photos of your car will be appreciated!
TJ

20131029_165107.jpg20131029_165107.jpg
here's a pic of what I'm working with. Black rubber discuss seen under the master cylinder is the problem. I always called it a rag joint-maybe there is another name for it...

20131029_165107.jpg

Bouchillon performance makes an updated version of this or you can take out a second mortgage and buy n.o.s. on e bay. I'd call the dealers and talk directly to them. Let us know what route you take.

Bouchillon performance makes an updated version of this or you can take out a second mortgage and buy n.o.s. on e bay. I'd call the dealers and talk directly to them. Let us know what route you take.

No- the rag joint is in good condition- I just need to get rid of it. It's too big- it hits the exhaust flange. I think the part I need is sold by flaming river- a u-joint to replace rag joint. I just wanted to know if anybody has done this swap and if the part that flaming river sells will fit an older c-body.

Hey I'm going thru the same thing right now with my 65 New Yorker. What have you found on this? I see the flaming river rag to u joint swap but I'm looking for more info as well.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

No- the rag joint is in good condition- I just need to get rid of it. It's too big- it hits the exhaust flange. I think the part I need is sold by flaming river- a u-joint to replace rag joint. I just wanted to know if anybody has done this swap and if the part that flaming river sells will fit an older c-body.
Let's go back to square one first.
Why is the coupler hitting the exhaust flange? It shouldn't. Therefore something moved. I doubt the coupler. Ergo the engine moved. How can an engine move? Usually because of bad motor mounts. Do we want to change a coupler to compensate for bad motor mounts? I can't.

It looks like you are also missing the heat shield which protects the rubber from the hot exhaust manifolds.

It's held on with a corbin clamp over the steering column housing.

I would check the motor mount before doing or buying anything.:imho:

I have the hi-po manifolds on a 413. I think it may be a later model manifold, since it has screw holes for the hot air shield on it. The original log style manifold did not touch.

Back