For Sale 65 Fury 426w-4 spd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lads --
I'm not that familiar with Chrysler, but the 426 "Max Wedge" made its debut in the 1963 Dodges and Plymouths in two forms, both having the large one-piece short-ram manifold with two staggered four-barrel Carter AFBs. One version had 11:1 compression and was rated at 415 horsepower and the other had 13.5:1 with 425 ponies. Externally, they were virtually identical to the 413 max wedges of 1962, but the Dodge mill was labeled the "Ramcharger" and the Plymouth the "Super Stock." Even though the 426 Hemi made its debut in 1964, a 425 HP max wedge was still available, but this one had its compression ratio reduced to 12.5:1.
In 1964, the 426 "Street Wedge" (also known as the 426-S or "Commando 426" in Plymouths) made its appearance and was also an option in 1965. It was a bit detuned from the max wedges to make it more streetable, having a single Carter AFB, a milder cam, hydraulic lifters, 10.3:1 compression, and a more conventional exhaust system, pushing 365 horses. This was the most powerful engine available in the '65 Furys and the larger Dodges. It was available only in the '64 and '65 model years.
Incidently, I special ordered a Medium Red Metallic '65 Sport Fury with matching interior, 426-S/4-speed, power brakes and no radio, PS, or A/C from Hunter Brothers Chrysler-Plymouth in October 1964, taking delivery at about 1:00 PM on Saturday, November 21. At about 8:00 PM that night, I caught a drag with a '65 Goat and some three blocks later, he was in my rear view mirror as I was indicating 90+.
At that time, the NHRA C-Stock class provided for cars having 10.60 to 11.29 pounds per shipping weight. That '65 Sport Fury comes in at 10.63 lbs. I had intended to compete later, but a honey-blond made her appearance, so my plans were sidetracked. However, she did like that car and had no problems driving it (no PS and wearing high heels) so she didn't object when I acquired its virtual twin in 2016.
Joe Godec

Ram Fury: what is your opinion of the price?
Pete --
I was looking for the one I just got for a number of years, primarily not just because I wanted a 426-S/4-speed car, but also one that looked like my old one (i.e., red on red) and they are a bit hard to find as only 502 Sport Furys came with 426s and 4-speeds. $15K may seem a bit steep at first look, but depending on the condition and extent of the spare parts (interior, trim, etc.) as well as the condition of the engine, trans, and rear end, I think if I hadn't found mine in 2016, I certainly would be looking into this one. There certainly are little idiosyncrasies on these cars that set them apart and are difficult and expensive to find and replace, such as clutch and brake pedal bezels, 426 hood ornaments, torque control fan drives, chrome air cleaners, tach wiring, etc. He does indicate that he has a lot of necessary parts but I would like to see exactly what is there and what shape it's in. All in all, depending upon the degree of restoration desired, it's a car that I, for one, would be exploring now if the one I have wasn't in my garage. But again, I just may be driven by an unreasonable desire to return to the days of my misspent youth.
1Fury1 --
This is "Big Red" or my current '65 Sport Fury. It is identical to the one I had in '64-'67 except for the vinyl roof, front and rear bumper guards, radio, and chrome rocker panels, while my other had power brakes. This one also has that stupid console-mounted tach which is worthless down there -- I put a Sun on the steering column of that first one. I also put a radio in it after that blond thought it would be a good idea. Interestingly, part of the extra $62 for the 4-speed versus the TorqueFlite was that the floor pan had to be manually hacked away somewhere down the production line to accommodate the shift linkage. This is very evident on my car but a friend who has a '63 Max Wedge 4-speed says his has an even more of a butcher job.
Joe
img_2172-1-jpg.jpg

Interesting to note the hand done hack job on the opening... by 66 they must have gotten a template together of some sort, because the hack job, while still obviously hand done, is quite good on mine. Lol!

Body looks pretty straight......check out the curl on the lower quarters.

The trans tunnel on my car sure has a lot of old black tar seam sealer on it as well.
Thanks for the lesson!

The trans tunnel on my car sure has a lot of old black tar seam sealer on it as well.
Thanks for the lesson!
It's like somebody in Marketing said in August '64, Oh wait, let's put 4 speeds in those new C-bodies after all.

It's like somebody in Marketing said in August '64, Oh wait, let's put 4 speeds in those new C-bodies after all.
I could be wrong but didn’t the 65’s have a squared off tunnel? Whereas our 66’s and later had the oval hole with a rounder hump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back