'65 Fury 4spd - How do I get the Z bar out?

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello -

Almost ready to pull the tired 383 out of my '65 Fury III 4 spd to replace it with a healthy 440.

How do I get the Z bar out? There doesn't seem to be ANY room on the frame side to get a wrench on the pivot ball.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks...

Chris

Hello -

Almost ready to pull the tired 383 out of my '65 Fury III 4 spd to replace it with a healthy 440.

How do I get the Z bar out? There doesn't seem to be ANY room on the frame side to get a wrench on the pivot ball.

Is there a trick I'm missing?

Thanks...

Chris
you just need to loosen the nut from the bracket that is welded to the frame. it should lift out and then you can remove the zbar with the ball sockets and all. there is also a clip that needs to be removed if it is still there.

I knew that I had to get the ball out on the frame side, but there was NO WAY I could get a wrench or socket on that nut...there is NO ROOM. I ended up taking out 2 bolts from lower corner of the inner fender, which gave me enough slack to pull it back to get at the nut with an impact gun. Easy peasy.

The motor is ready to come out.

Chris

pull the tired 383 out of my '65 Fury III 4 spd to replace it with a healthy 440

Sounds intriguing and people have a basic need to see pics. Start a project thread and let us help or just live vicariously through your project :)

upload_2016-6-7_18-30-27.png

I knew that I had to get the ball out on the frame side, but there was NO WAY I could get a wrench or socket on that nut...there is NO ROOM. I ended up taking out 2 bolts from lower corner of the inner fender, which gave me enough slack to pull it back to get at the nut with an impact gun. Easy peasy.

The motor is ready to come out.

Chris
sweet glad you got it.

Back