65 fury drum to disc conversation

weezle98

Reaction score
Hi, I'm sure there is a post already on here. I have a 65 fury and wanting to know if another yr make and model disc brakes will swap onto the 65 fury? Thanks

Most folks go for the 73 C body spindles since they have an easily obtained rotor. 69 to 72 will also work but the two piece rotor is a bit harder to find and more expensive. Or at least that has been the model for years. Any of the above will bolt right on but keep in mind it will require going up to 15 inch wheels, and don't forget to upgrade the brake hydraulics, (think dual reservoir m/c and such).

73 c body? As in a new yorker and? Sorry just not real family with c bodies

Plymouth Fury, Chrysler 300, Newport, Newport Custom, New Yorker, New Yorker Brougham, Dodge Monaco, Polara.

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

There are also conversion kits from quite a few vendors. For my 65 Fury I went with a kit from PST. They're a sponsor on FBBO and FCBO. You'll get a 10% discount and free shipping I think. I didn't want to have to play the looking for parts game so I just bought a kit.

I stuck ECI brakes on mine - a 68 fury. a lot of people use scarebird. or SSBC.

if you are trying to stay stock or whatever, I dunno if the 65 needs the disc spindles that are unobtainium or not, I defer :)

I'll probably be going for the ECI Brakes conversion sometime in the near future.They offer a front disc setup for $625 with 11" rotors and if you'd like to upgrade to 13" rotors it's $100 more.They also offer drilled rotors for an additional $50 per rotor.They have a rear disc brake setup that runs the same price.Don't forget,I would assume that you would also need to upgrade your master cylinder,depending on whether you go disc/drum or disc/disc,and you may also need a new proportioning valve too.Check with a few brake conversion places to find out what may be needed.

All things considered I would prefer the Scarebird kit over the eci kit. Here's why. On the eci kit it uses gm parts for the rotors, and calipers. Its also whats considered a slip on rotor the wheel hub is a separate piece retained by the spindle. What I like about the scarebird setup is that it uses a 1 piece rotor much like what 73 c-bodys use where the wheel studs are built into the rotor. It uses Ford full-size 1970-1972 11" rotors, and dodge 1995-1999 1500 1/2 truck front calipers. I think it's a better built kit. for 165 you get the brackets, you have a choice of what quality of rotors you buy since you source your own, and bearings ect. You do need a disc brake master, and for maximum stopping power you should step up to a dual diaphragm disc brake booster. I know some people have gotten away with using the drum booster.............. in a panic stop it doesn't have the capacity to lock the calipers down. I have a friend who runs the eci kit on all 4 wheels on his 68 fury. In order to run the rear disc brakes you need to use the non adjustable green bearings. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed on scarebird kit and if you use your car for something further then DQ. runs you won't be staying longer than expected waiting for the ups man to bring you new mail order parts just find the local auto parts and if you travel with green bearings throw extras in glove box one for each 500mi because a.z. and aap won't have them either

Thanks a bunch guys for all the resources, I'm hoping to just use factory stuff from a 73 or so. Like to keep it as original as possible, not to mention more cost effective.

Ok. So I crossed the Bal joint part number of a 65 fury, and an 87 fifth Avenue and they are the same. So does that mean the spindles, rotors and calipers will work on the 65 fury?????

Back