65 fury pursuit

m38jeepman

Reaction score
Here is a 65 fury 1 I just bought. It is a former police car. Anyone have any info on these cars?

It has a leece-neville alternator and regulator. The carb and intake are not correct, but most other police parts are there.
20170401_184612.jpg
20170401_183825.jpg
20170401_183819.jpg

Hey, nice score. Rare to find 'em intact from this era. Looks like the real thing for sure.

As to your question(s), among the folks here we probably know a LOT about these cars. People with the most knowledge will chime in I'm sure.

What may help is if you posted the dataplate photo and/or or any other info you know about it?

That kinda info FROM the car will go a long way toward helping us all get smarter about your fine ride.

thanks for posting.

Here is a 65 fury 1 I just bought. It is a former police car. Anyone have any info on these cars?

It has a leece-neville alternator and regulator. The carb and intake are not correct, but most other police parts are there. View attachment 120976 View attachment 120977 View attachment 120978

Here's pretty much everything you want to know. I'm surprised a bit at how it looks but then the hidden features of a cruiser are not always readily viewable. I'm surprised it's only two door and a bit more in the way of pics and fender tag stampings will give way to information about the power train and other options. I have a Fury III of that vintage and I can honestly tell you that finding parts can be a real bear.

1965 Fury Specs, Colors, Facts, History, and Performance | Classic Car Database

A big block, two door, yet. Nice!

A previous knucklehead's mod for exhaust outlets?
You needed new quarters, anyway...

Screenshot_2017-04-04-13-59-59-413.jpeg

Last edited:
Normal petrol cars or Detective's rides? Where would you put an arrest subject? I know the CHP used Camaros and Mustangs in the '80s, but that was out of necessity - the big and fast cruisers were all history by then.

If the car does not have a cage, the perp sits in the right front passenger seat. Wouldn't want one behind you (in the back seat) if you don't have a cage. If it was a two-officer unit, the passenger officer and the perp go in the back seat.

m38jeepman: does the car have a "K" as the second VIN character? I can tell you those hubcaps are correct.

K code didn't start until 1966 - I believe it was a "9" through 1965.

I'm sure most know this by now: "9" or "K" was was a price line code that allowed Chrysler bean counters to identify and remove any tax from all levels of production. Legal tax avoidance that was the difference in the price of a Patroller/Pursuit and a Similar passenger car. It was tax issues that prevented private sale of a new K code car..and tax issues alone. Anybody could order anything from extra welds on down in a L/M/H. It was not allowed for a non-government individual or business to order a PK car. It had nothing to do with equipment and everything to do with taxes. A 9 or K coded "police car" is a price line discount code made possible for tax exemption. It was nothing else. Any police special equipment could have been ordered on any price line car.

My 1972 Texas Highway Patrol Polara Custom is a great example. Upper trim level passenger car, with special black and white paint, special police options (including A38), special welds and reinforcement of the rear crossmember , roof and seat tracks. DM41P2D vin.

Yes the K started in 66. This car starts with P952 I think. The 9 is for police.

Someone started working on it and quit. They cut out some bad spots to fix on the quarters.

The fender tag is missing but hopefully I can get some info from Chrysler on its options. It has A383 and HP on the pad on the engine. It looks original to me.

CHP used 2-doors up till 59, after that all 4-doors. The Camaros and Mustangs were not use because they were fast but because they were faster than the sedans being used.

Alan

I'm sure most know this by now: "9" or "K" was was a price line code that allowed Chrysler bean counters to identify and remove any tax from all levels of production. Legal tax avoidance that was the difference in the price of a Patroller/Pursuit and a Similar passenger car. It was tax issues that prevented private sale of a new K code car..and tax issues alone. Anybody could order anything from extra welds on down in a L/M/H. It was not allowed for a non-government individual or business to order a PK car. It had nothing to do with equipment and everything to do with taxes. A 9 or K coded "police car" is a price line discount code made possible for tax exemption. It was nothing else. Any police special equipment could have been ordered on any price line car.

My 1972 Texas Highway Patrol Polara Custom is a great example. Upper trim level passenger car, with special black and white paint, special police options (including A38), special welds and reinforcement of the rear crossmember , roof and seat tracks. DM41P2D vin.

Thanks for the info, did not know the designation was for tax purposes and would lower the price to the buyer (police department). I wonder why your '72 TX car would have been ordered/built without the tax advantage, making the price higher?

Thanks for the info, did not know the designation was for tax purposes and would lower the price to the buyer (police department). I wonder why your '72 TX car would have been ordered/built without the tax advantage, making the price higher?

They started ordering them in 1969 with the Fury III - It was purely to increase resale value at auction. More plush interiors and carpeting brought a higher price than the rubber floor and basic interior. They ordered multiple interior colors and painted the cars to match when they went to auction.

I also have a 1968 Fury I Texas Highway Patrol car - PK41L8D. It has rubber flooring, basic everything. Purely a utilitarian pursuit car.

Nice find!
I have the trim you are missing for the drivers side door. I'll send a PM.

I can get some interior pics if you want. A previous owner started disassembling the interior but I am going to put it back together.

Regarding the trim for the doors, I noticed this afternoon that the car never had trim on the doors. No holes were ever punched for the trim clips. It must have had something painted on the doors.

The car was originally white, but someone painted the car a seamist green. Whoever did that paint job did not miss any areas. Even the firewall and all inside the door jambs were all painted. I may lightly sand the doors and see if I can uncover any letters that may be there from some jurisdiction.

Last edited:
Back