65 plymouth

marblemike

Reaction score
Hi
I was woundering if my 65 plymouth is to low in the back, as i remimber most set down in the back some any way.
it does need shocks, thought about the shocks with overload springs on shocks or should i go air shocks.
way back there i liked the *** in the air, but know i want the right look and ride.

also i have replaced the front and back brakes, and it seems like pedal goes down alot but brakes work good, am i just used too the more modern brakes or maybe blead some more, even if you pump pedal it doesnt get better.
Thanks for all you do.
marblemike plymouth123 003.jpgplymouth123 002.jpg

plymouth123 003.jpg

plymouth123 002.jpg

Not sure if it's low or not but I'd stay away from air shocks. You may need new rear leaf springs or the originals could be rearched if they're not too far gone. Your FSM will actually have ride hght dimensions in it for the front and back that you can reference.

It all depends on how much money you want to spend. Air shocks aren't that bad. As long as you don't pump them up to the max. If you do you will have a terrible ride. They are meant to help level out a vehicle when towing something. You say you want the *** in the air. Doing that even with new springs will not give you a nice riding car. A little rake isn't bad. Too much and your ride quality will suffer.

I'd go with new springs or the old ones re-arched. Get the car level and then maybe adjust the torsion bars in the front to give it a little rake.

On the brakes. Are they 4 wheel drum? If so make sure they are all adjusted properly. While drum brakes are good. If they are improperly adjusted it can cause excessive pedal travel. Even if only the rears are drum. If they are improperly adjusted it can cause excessive pedal travel. Air in the lines will make the pedal feel spongy.

here's a video on final adjustment for drum brakes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN6z0oIZLBk

Shock absorbers are not designed to support weight, thats the springs job. So ... air shocks are not recommended unless to maintain ride heigth under heavy loads.
I've had leaf springs rearched will great success and the cost is low. A local spring shop will work with you to determine exactly what ride heigth you want, to a degree.

Sounds like you need to adjust your brakes. The factory installed self adjusters when new but most discard the self adjusting parts when brakes are redone. If that is the case then regular manual adjusting is important.

Last edited:
FYI, 68-70 B-body rear springs are a direct bolt in for these 65's.
I have a set of them (Mopar Performance) in my 65 Sport Fury.

Back