66 300 max tire/wheel size

mikek597

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum-so far it has been great.
I know this has been addressed a dozen times here but I'm getting ready to order some rear wheels and already screwed up once.
I have a 66 300 that I built a 512" stroker for. Close to 650hp 700#tq. I want to fit the absolute largest rear tires I can to try to get her to hook.
Like I said I already messed up ordering rear wheels once. I bought 15x10 with 4.5"bs. Plenty of clearance inside but outer wheel lip was almost right in line with the inside of the quarter. I measured off of that rim and think that a 15x10 with 5.5"bs will give me an inch+ of clearance on the outside and 1" inside.
Is this enough to allow for roll? Im wanting to use m/t street et (I think?)
There again-not sure on tire size?
This is going to be a dual purpose car. Street driven but will see track time.
Suspension wise I installed super stock rear with firm feel sway bar. Front I cant recall? I believe 1 step above cop car torsion bars?? New from firm feel.
If im crazy trying to fit a 10" wide wheel please let me know.

1 inch clearance should be plenty for body roll, it sounds like a straight line cruiser, nothing on hairpins correct?

Welcome and where are you photos of the beast

I tried posting a few pics but it says the file size us to big.
Car is sold, silver, black buckets and vinyl top. Lower rear quarters need some attention. More worried about the mechanicals than body right now. Interior is mint-love it

Not an answer to your question but praise for your approach and questions

What are your thoughts on the firm feel torsion bars and sway bar -

1) was it hard to install?

2) worth the cost and effort

3) What did you use for a rear end and gears

I am building a 512 stroker and have interest in building my suspension as well.

Firm feel has great products and installation wss pretty simple. Rear sway bar is a little tricky-I had it installed butt needed to remove it to get the exhaust on and haven't got it back in yet.
Torsion bars were changed with the subframe out of the car so it was pretty simple

Hi guys, new to the forum-so far it has been great.
I know this has been addressed a dozen times here but I'm getting ready to order some rear wheels and already screwed up once.
I have a 66 300 that I built a 512" stroker for. Close to 650hp 700#tq. I want to fit the absolute largest rear tires I can to try to get her to hook.
Like I said I already messed up ordering rear wheels once. I bought 15x10 with 4.5"bs. Plenty of clearance inside but outer wheel lip was almost right in line with the inside of the quarter. I measured off of that rim and think that a 15x10 with 5.5"bs will give me an inch+ of clearance on the outside and 1" inside.
Is this enough to allow for roll? Im wanting to use m/t street et (I think?)
There again-not sure on tire size?
This is going to be a dual purpose car. Street driven but will see track time.
Suspension wise I installed super stock rear with firm feel sway bar. Front I cant recall? I believe 1 step above cop car torsion bars?? New from firm feel.
If im crazy trying to fit a 10" wide wheel please let me know.
Need to make sure where the wheel company takes their measurement from . I ordered a set of Cragar SS wheels with the back spacing of 5.5 . their wheel is 10 inches wide from where the wheel and tire seals but their overall width for the wheel is 11 inches , so when I ordered 5.5 inches of back spacing in ended up with 5 inches of spacing from where I measured . it seems that they measured backspacing from the out side of the rim and not where the tire and rim seats . It's close and I may have to trim a little off of the outer lip to clear so be sure and ask ...

Last edited:
Back