66 Exhaust Tips

I am interested in pics/measurements of the hangers please
Stopped by my storage place today & took a few pics of my '67 Fury. They are actually a 3rd gen copy of the originals. The first copy was done in the factory 2" size and I used Walker mufflers with the appropriate 2-1/2" inlets & 2" outlets. Of annoyance, the Walker mufflers had a significant internal neckdown. NOS mufflers were unobtainable so next I went with repro hemi B-body types which were the right length. I took my 2nd gen pipes to a local shop & had them duplicated in 2-1/4" stainless. The original pipes were bare steel which is why they rusted fast. I did take a look in the parts books & the 67-68 hangers are identical but the '66 uses the same rear hangers but different over the axle, P/Ns as follows (except wagons), I didn't check for '65-
2823460 1966 front, same both sides
2823929 67-68 front, right side
2856238 67-68 front, left side
2643586 66-68 rear, right side
2643585 66-68 rear, left side
The pipes are about 3" forward of the bumper, inconspicuous except at the right angles. The clamps shown are parts store stuff, not correct.

exh 1.JPG
exh 2.JPG
exh 3.JPG
exh 4.JPG
exh 5.JPG
exh 6.JPG

Me too - that's why I am so pleased with the informaion.

The systems with the mandrel perfect bends look great, but I like the originality of the wrinkles - and now I know that if I really want to, I can get the pipes properly replicated in the correct sizes in stainless, and they'll look nearly new for longer than I'm alive! The only thing I'll likely do is a "Day 2" modification of aftermarket mufflers - which will be one of 2 pairs of NOS Walker Continental Blue Swingers I have stashed away. Love 'em or hate 'em, they were the big thing back in the day. I love 'em, and so I searched for them.

I love the "over restored" look of your car's underside - I will be likely doing the same - and I've got the rotisserie to get the pans ready. I bought a shell from Ohio many years ago that was a 15,000 mile write-off (t-boned). Used the entire trunk pan and bits of the floors for patches. Then I peeled all the original undercoating off so I can prep the floor properly for nice shiny paint. I also got Arizona quarters with extensions to replace the aftermarket ones that were hung on there years before I got the car in the early 90s... looked great from the outside, but were a ****-show. Original quarters, wheel tubs and trunk extensions just dropped into place - even most the spot welds were in the same places!

FLOOR 1 SMALL.jpg

FLOOR PAN 2 SMALL.jpg

Me too - that's why I am so pleased with the informaion.

The systems with the mandrel perfect bends look great, but I like the originality of the wrinkles - and now I know that if I really want to, I can get the pipes properly replicated in the correct sizes in stainless, and they'll look nearly new for longer than I'm alive! The only thing I'll likely do is a "Day 2" modification of aftermarket mufflers - which will be one of 2 pairs of NOS Walker Continental Blue Swingers I have stashed away. Love 'em or hate 'em, they were the big thing back in the day. I love 'em, and so I searched for them.

I love the "over restored" look of your car's underside - I will be likely doing the same - and I've got the rotisserie to get the pans ready. I bought a shell from Ohio many years ago that was a 15,000 mile write-off (t-boned). Used the entire trunk pan and bits of the floors for patches. Then I peeled all the original undercoating off so I can prep the floor properly for nice shiny paint. I also got Arizona quarters with extensions to replace the aftermarket ones that were hung on there years before I got the car in the early 90s... looked great from the outside, but were a ****-show. Original quarters, wheel tubs and trunk extensions just dropped into place - even most the spot welds were in the same places!

View attachment 642283

View attachment 642284
Good work! You might want to start a resto thread on that one. Had to look up the Blue Swinger thing, they look like Cherry Bombs of a different color, beware those are very loud. Looking at your underbody pics, I can see where the front tailpipe hangers have a different mounting arrangement & the factory ones would not interchange between '66 & '67, see pics below.

underbody painted 3.jpg
underbody painted 4.jpg

Yeah, I noticed that too. My T&C will have more info as to the front hanger types, plus how they fit in the holes - it's pretty much unmolested that way. From what I can see on my Monaco, the holes are balanced on both sides to permit the use of the same hanger on either side (and make it not so dedicated) and permit aftermarket exhaust replacement hangers being an easy fit.

Yeah, the Continentals are loud, but their sound is distinctive over Cherry Bombs. It's something I grew up with and I loved 45 years ago, so I'll have to see if I can put up with it when the system is installed! I would never put them on the T&C wagon, as the whole approach with that car is the "reserved power" and luxury, while the Monaco was never ever optioned to be anything but an in one's face performance car - with luxury ladled in to sweeten the experience.
Remember - this is what it can do from a rolling start, just stepping on the gas in 1st... Sound up! :icon_fU::canada:

Last edited:
Stopped by my storage place today & took a few pics of my '67 Fury. They are actually a 3rd gen copy of the originals. The first copy was done in the factory 2" size and I used Walker mufflers with the appropriate 2-1/2" inlets & 2" outlets. Of annoyance, the Walker mufflers had a significant internal neckdown. NOS mufflers were unobtainable so next I went with repro hemi B-body types which were the right length. I took my 2nd gen pipes to a local shop & had them duplicated in 2-1/4" stainless. The original pipes were bare steel which is why they rusted fast. I did take a look in the parts books & the 67-68 hangers are identical but the '66 uses the same rear hangers but different over the axle, P/Ns as follows (except wagons), I didn't check for '65-
2823460 1966 front, same both sides
2823929 67-68 front, right side
2856238 67-68 front, left side
2643586 66-68 rear, right side
2643585 66-68 rear, left side
The pipes are about 3" forward of the bumper, inconspicuous except at the right angles. The clamps shown are parts store stuff, not correct.

View attachment 642275View attachment 642276View attachment 642277View attachment 642278View attachment 642279View attachment 642280
That is some really nice work.

That's interesting. The one thing I will note is the car in the press release has cutouts for the tips in the rear pan for the tips. That makes me wonder if the tips were eventually skipped to eliminate that mod, but that's just me thinking out loud.

I have no dog in this fight... So, I'll say that now I've seen it both ways and I'm not convinced what is true.
File it under another Mopar mystery like so many others that are out there. The factory did so many weird and oddball things so who knows.. Bottom line or me is what was already mentioned if I had a 300h it would definelty have the tips on it.

Back