66 Exhaust Tips

Yup - the arch of the turn downs is always a sticking point with me on modern aftermarket systems, but NOS prebent ones seem to have the correct arch. That's why I try to get systems done at major chain exhaust places here in Canada like Midas or Speedy, which still use the original factory supplied bend cards. Getting harder to find.

Yes, they all necked down to 2" tailpipes for some reason - if anyone remembers Ross Tanner (an old time member of the original C Body Dry Dock way back when, profile name The Tan Sedan), claimed it had something to do with a number of reasons:
1) balancing the system's back pressure for better carb and ignition performance
2) aiding in scavenging of the cylinders, and boosting/maximizing low end torque without sacrificing high speed horsepower
3) reduced drone.

Personally, I don’t think the tti looks very good if cbarge’s red car is indicative of how their system fits. IMO, the tailpipes are too low, they shouldn’t be visible from the side. Carguy300’s system looks perfect.

On my 66 300, I built my own tailpipe for my stock single exhaust from 2 1/2” mandrel bends where you can just see the end under the bumper, very stockish in appearance. I have plans to build an entire new single exhaust. I have a set of c body hp manifolds with 2 1/2” outlets that I plan to install. I’ll build a 2 1/2” Y pipe using a dual 2 1/2” to single 3” flowmaster Y collector, 3” tubing and muffler, and maybe 3” tailpipe if there’s room for it. If no room, I’ll build a 2 1/2” tailpipe v2.0. This should be adequate for my 325 horse 383. A second pipe out the left seems tight with the fuel tank placement. I did this exact same system on my 67 barracuda with a 340 and it was great
Travis..

Personally, I don’t think the tti looks very good if cbarge’s red car is indicative of how their system fits. IMO, the tailpipes are too low, they shouldn’t be visible from the side. Carguy300’s system looks perfect.

On my 66 300, I built my own tailpipe for my stock single exhaust from 2 1/2” mandrel bends where you can just see the end under the bumper, very stockish in appearance. I have plans to build an entire new single exhaust. I have a set of c body hp manifolds with 2 1/2” outlets that I plan to install. I’ll build a 2 1/2” Y pipe using a dual 2 1/2” to single 3” flowmaster Y collector, 3” tubing and muffler, and maybe 3” tailpipe if there’s room for it. If no room, I’ll build a 2 1/2” tailpipe v2.0. This should be adequate for my 325 horse 383. A second pipe out the left seems tight with the fuel tank placement. I did this exact same system on my 67 barracuda with a 340 and it was great
Travis..
The tti pipes hang directly under the rear frame rail, I've never had any issues myself. The rest of the system fits up under the car nicely.

The tti pipes hang directly under the rear frame rail, I've never had any issues myself. The rest of the system fits up under the car nicely.
Depends on what angle you take a picture, yes they are more visible than O.E. because they do run with the frame rail and are larger in diameter than O.E. .
Still a good system that deals with the gas tank offset to one side.
Underneath, everything fits very nicely.
Notice the original hanger for the right single exhaust is inide the right frame rail
1000001671.jpg

1000001670.jpg

Last edited:
That's the one thing about C bodies - the dual exhaust from the factory was offset to the left side due to the tank being close to the left frame rail. Take a look - it's true. Always kinda bugged me a tad, but then, it's a Mopar quirk which I've grown to like!

1706915640616.png

Lol - exactly!!

Even the exhaust on my red Monaco had the offset, although the turndowns were cut off so aftermarket tips could be installed. Hard to see the actual tips in this photo, but they're reflected in the bumper itself.

REAR SMALL.jpg

You can sorta see them in this video too - this is where I show how much torque the car has when I floor it in 1st gear after walking it out... not bad for a nearly 5,000 lb car from a rolling start, eh? Make sure you have the sound up!

Last edited:
Ok. In this video, you may have to scan/ skip to where I show the original tailpipes.
Perfect example how the factree bent the end of tailpipes and how they are routed/ hung on the car

The guy I had do my exhaust told me it didnt have "factory" dual because the hangers werent where they should be? But he did set it up so tail pipes were centered even by the bumper bolts. The tank was offset though. The 300 I have now had gas tank offset, but its single exhaust with resonator still installed. Notsure if i'll run duals on this or not.

FWIW, and I don't have a picture...

My '65 had some Advance Pep Zone tips on it. The 2" dual exhaust, made by Kepich, really didn't exit correctly so the tips were added by the previous owner. I removed the aftermarket tips, bent the pipes around a little, and not knowing they aren't supposed to be centered (LOL) got them so they looked more symmetrical.

I ended up removing the last 6-8" and added these turndowns. A couple spot welds from the MIG holds them in place rather than another clamp. I trimmed about an inch off the turndown to male it look good.

Sorry, no pics.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015KXN1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only C' that had tips--correct me if I am wrong-- 70 SFGT and 70 300Hurst.
Upsweep and baloney sliced turndowns otherwise.
Grace is still wearing her factory tailpipes.
Note they do not extend past the bumper unlike the TTI system.

Correct and they both used the same tips. Modified Challenger tips.. I had an NOS years ago but sold them. kinda wish I held on to them now!

70SportFury_EXtips1.jpg

70SportFury_EXtips2.jpg

70SportFury_EXtips3.jpg

70SportFury_EXtips4.jpg

Correct and they both used the same tips.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the 300 Hurst having those tips.

As I understand it, the prototype Hurst 300 had those tips, but none of the production. This has been discussed on here ad nauseum. Honestly, I thought they had the tips until reading more about them.

Here's some good info on page 7 of this thread. 300-H HURST nerd stuff...

Now there are a lot of the Hurst 300 cars out there that have had the tips added, and they do look like they belong there... @Trace 300 Hurst and @Fury Pursuit are pretty knowledgeable guys and might be able to expand on that more.

If I remember correct this picture was taken from a survivor 68 Chrysler 300

View attachment 641923
Those look pretty close to original but I have some doubts. I had 2 '68 Newports with original duals that I replaced the exhausts on. This was quite a few years ago, if I recall I used NAPA pipes which were still stocked back then. The pipes on my cars were a lot rustier than those shown and the Newports I had were very rust free with super clean underbodies. More recently my '67 Fury also had original tailpipes which I had duplicated by a shop as accurately as possible, they were also rustier than shown and it had a flawless rust-free underbody, better than the 300 shown. Second, those do not appear to be original hangers. They look to be tack welded to the pipes and bolted to the bumper brackets which I've never seen. Mine had special left and right hangers that bolt further up on the frame. I even sourced NOS hangers when I did this years ago, they're likely unobtainable now. If anyone's interested I can take a pic.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on the 300 Hurst having those tips.

As I understand it, the prototype Hurst 300 had those tips, but none of the production. This has been discussed on here ad nauseum. Honestly, I thought they had the tips until reading more about them.

Here's some good info on page 7 of this thread. 300-H HURST nerd stuff...

Now there are a lot of the Hurst 300 cars out there that have had the tips added, and they do look like they belong there... @Trace 300 Hurst and @Fury Pursuit are pretty knowledgeable guys and might be able to expand on that more.
Maybe you are right as more often than not any or all 300H's I have seen do not have them, but I do remember seeing an Original owner 300H survivor years ago at either Carlisle or Moparfest and it had the tips on it and they looked the part. I have a picture of it somewhere.

Maybe you are right as more often than not any or all 300H's I have seen do not have them, but I do remember seeing an Original owner 300H survivor years ago at either Carlisle or Moparfest and it had the tips on it and they looked the part. I have a picture of it somewhere.
I really believe that some were added at the dealerships. The theory is that some new owners, seeing pics of the prototype car with the tips, wanted them too. From what I've read, the prototype had cut outs in the rear pan for the tips.

IMHO they do look at home on the car and if I had a 300 Hurst, I would seriously think about adding them.

I really believe that some were added at the dealerships. The theory is that some new owners, seeing pics of the prototype car with the tips, wanted them too. From what I've read, the prototype had cut outs in the rear pan for the tips.

IMHO they do look at home on the car and if I had a 300 Hurst, I would seriously think about adding them.

everything i have says that the tips were standard with the 300 Hurst. they have a different part # than the Challenger tips. the part # was listed in the supplement to the 300 Hurst parts book, not in the original 300 Hurst parts book. they are referred to as extensions.

original press release showing tips "extensions"

1707091910272.jpeg

i believe they are the same part # for the Fury GT

1707091995061.jpeg

1707092043247.jpeg

everything i have says that the tips were standard with the 300 Hurst. they have a different part # than the Challenger tips. the part # was listed in the supplement to the 300 Hurst parts book, not in the original 300 Hurst parts book. they are referred to as extensions.

original press release showing tips "extensions"

View attachment 642235

i believe they are the same part # for the Fury GT

View attachment 642236
View attachment 642237
That's interesting. The one thing I will note is the car in the press release has cutouts for the tips in the rear pan for the tips. That makes me wonder if the tips were eventually skipped to eliminate that mod, but that's just me thinking out loud.

I have no dog in this fight... So, I'll say that now I've seen it both ways and I'm not convinced what is true.

Back