66 Exhaust Tips

darth_linux

Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo or dealer/promo picture of the ORIGINAL exhaust tailpipes, showing the "tips" on the 66 Newport/300/New Yorker with TNT440 engine factory dual exhaust that can confirm/deny that the exhaust tips match what TTI sells as option TD2 "TURNDOWNS w/ 5-DEGREE UPSWEEP" as seen here:
Exhaust Tips go to Section 8, option TD2.

I'm asking because they look like they'd fit a Fusie just fine but maybe not so much on a Slab body . . . Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the full TTI exhaust on my '67 300, from their C-body headers all the way to the exhaust tips you describe. My 300 was not a TNT car (it has the original K code 440), but I went with duals anyway. Posting this so you can see what the tips might look like (sort of) on your car. FWIW it was professionally installed, and I'm very happy with the entire system.

1F28CFBE-0DC4-4155-92C3-179D217B7465_1_105_c.jpeg

7D0217CB-CD51-4E87-BCC1-992A5812AC13_1_105_c.jpeg

The only C' that had tips--correct me if I am wrong-- 70 SFGT and 70 300Hurst.
Upsweep and baloney sliced turndowns otherwise.
Grace is still wearing her factory tailpipes.
Note they do not extend past the bumper unlike the TTI system.

The only C' that had tips--correct me if I am wrong-- 70 SFGT and 70 300Hurst.
The Hurst never had them, but I think they were often added... and they look at home there.

@cbarge keyed in on the heart of my question, which is not about "which tips" but about "should the tips/pipes extend beyond the bumper?" I feel like the answer is a firm NO, but the look of the TD2 tips makes me believe they won't fit under the car and MUST protrude beyond the bumper, because of that "upsweep."

@cbarge keyed in on the heart of my question, which is not about "which tips" but about "should the tips/pipes extend beyond the bumper?" I feel like the answer is a firm NO, but the look of the TD2 tips makes me believe they won't fit under the car and MUST protrude beyond the bumper, because of that "upsweep."
I did 3 C's with the TTi system with turn down tips.
Best recommendation is have the tip protrude out from the BOTTOM of bumper but not past the TOP of bumper.
Hope this helps.

31131275_10155820093567400_1096177092476796928_n.jpg

BoaB June 2018 015.JPG

Last edited:
Or you can have these custom cut tail pipes on my '78 Chrysler New Yorker St Regis Coupe. They are tastefully hidden with a scalloped end.

100_0619.JPG

I have the tips both sticking out past the bumper, and stopping just before the bumper on my '66 Polaras. They fit fine under the bumper, as the upsweep is far enough from anything that might interfere.

I had turn downs on mine, my exhaust guy did all the bends. 2-1/2". Kept them tucked under nicely I thought and not to far out past bumper. He researched and got correct angle per chrysler dual exh specs for 68.

IMG_3613.jpeg

IMG_3612.jpeg

IMG_3611.jpeg

IMG_3610.jpeg

On our '66 Newport Town Sedan, the factory pipes did not extend past the bottom of the rear bumper, but were probably an inch or so short of the bottom of the bumper. Which meant that exhaust heat could migrate upward to the rh backup light, coloring it a small bit, but it would wash off easily. The chrome would get a bit grungy, too, but some cleaner wax always took it off.

Many customer pipe makers, not the OEM-spec pipe makers, could use ONE rear pipe for C-bodies rather than body-specific. They can also extend past the rear bumper on some, which many like as the bumpers stay cleaner and such, but also can make them more prone to drag on sharp approach drive-ins and such.

IF you put a Fuselage over-the-axle rear pipe on a Slab, it will hang below the quarter panel. The Slabs had an upward slope behind the wheel, as the Fuselage and Formals rear pipes were more horizontal to clear their body sheet metal and rear bumper. When I put the '72 Imperial-spec Walker Exhaust replacement parts under my '67 Newport, that's what happened at the back. Had to go to a muffler shop and get them to put a bend in the back pipe to clear the Class I trailer hitch on the car. Plus to hide the pipe behind the quarter panel bottom.

The factory rear pipes also had a small hole drilled in the bottom of the pipe, at their lowest point, for condensate drain holes. Just as the rear of the muffler bottom had one too.

The TTI rear pipe exit angle and cut are pretty close to OEM. Hard to put a chrome tip on them, as a result. But then ONE single chrome extension tended to look tacky, but TWO were good. Basically, hide the single exhaust exits, but show the dual exhaust exits (for their "powerful" look).

From my "memory and use banks",
CBODY67

One unusual thing about 67-68 C's is the dual tail pipes were actually 2" as opposed to 2-1/4" on B-bodies. This is despite the fact that they were using 2-1/2" input pipes to the mufflers compared to 2-1/4" in 65-66. They may have changed this in the 70's, not sure. They all had turn downs behind the bumpers. The original pipes must have had some special bending apparatus, their appearance differs from the bends made using current machines and any aftermarket pipes I've seen.

Most upgrade to larger pipes but the original 2" hangers can't be used. Unless they make something new now, the special left & right hangers over the axle can be a challenge.

Back