66 Fury Hood Adorn

66furys

Reaction score
This hood ornament does not seem to fit very well.....loose on the hood ridge, and cockeyed when tight. Also, a small hole behind. I am happy I took this pic because I did not see the 383 on back side. Does this appear correct, and could it be reversed with maybe a pin that goes thru hole, yadda yadda. Thoughts appreciated.

hood ornament.jpg

This hood ornament does not seem to fit very well.....loose on the hood ridge, and cockeyed when tight. Also, a small hole behind. I am happy I took this pic because I did not see the 383 on back side. Does this appear correct, and could it be reversed with maybe a pin that goes thru hole, yadda yadda. Thoughts appreciated.

View attachment 653613
Looks like you might have the wrong base. Note that a hood ornament from a 66 Belvedere/Satellite and Fury look the same but have a different base due to the shape of the hood. If you find a '65 or 66' Fury base for the ornament, that should work.

Interesting details, thanks. Just one more need to visit the old salvage yard.....I have been thru the parts rooms but not the lot.....fun.

Interesting details, thanks. Just one more need to visit the old salvage yard.....I have been thru the parts rooms but not the lot.....fun.
Yeah, same thing happened to me when I bought my Fury. Someone put a B-body ornament on the hood. It was cockeyed, the wrong year, and the wrong engine. Looked at Pinterest to see photos of several '66 Furys to know what to look for. Then got on Ebay and found an ornament for $75, and now it fits perfect. If you have a good Mopar salvage yard nearby it's a godsend! You're halfway there, just need a different base.

Thanks.....do you know if the base is long enough to have a pin that fits in the rear small hole......I suspect that is correct for the fury??

I found this article on the hood ornaments...
1966 versus 1967 Plymouth hood ornaments - the difference
and they talked about the ornament itself, not the base. Interesting that the hood shape would be different enough to cause this seating problem. There are three parts to this, the ornament itself, its base and the under pin that also fits the hood. How in the world did mother mopar come up with this puzzle.
Wondering if I will have to cast a base fit using epoxy, or find one in the yard. Hmmm. Also will have to look for a possible extended base that accommodates that little alignment hole.

My poor car.....I got it based on the condition of the metal underneath, and have not been disappointed in that aspect. Howsumever, it seems that anything else on the car that has had hands on it has been screwed up, including this small part. I was going to remove it to try to reform the base to fit the hood, but found no form fitted part on the bottom....just washers. Thanks boys. I have called salvage yard and they have the 66 fury, so will make a trek soon.

My poor car.....I got it based on the condition of the metal underneath, and have not been disappointed in that aspect. Howsumever, it seems that anything else on the car that has had hands on it has been screwed up, including this small part. I was going to remove it to try to reform the base to fit the hood, but found no form fitted part on the bottom....just washers. Thanks boys. I have called salvage yard and they have the 66 fury, so will make a trek soon.
Good luck at the bone yard! These cars are forever projects, in that you are forever tracking down the problems of numerous shade tree putz's before you.

Thanks.....do you know if the base is long enough to have a pin that fits in the rear small hole......I suspect that is correct for the fury??
Yes. The correct base will have the locating pin. Here is a pic of the correct base for a 66 383 hood. Mine was cracked and I sold it a few years ago. Good luck finding a usable one.

100_9781.JPG

100_9782.JPG

100_9783.JPG

100_9784.JPG

100_9795.JPG

Yee gads....thank you guys.....these are the first I have seen of what should be on my hood. I have the correct vertical 383 emblem, but neither of the other two....all gonium. Thanks for letting me know what I should be looking for. If I were not in my retired state, I might go for the ebay item. appreciate the help

BTW gentlemen, in both examples, the nut sits on the spacing block. Is it attached and spins, or loose. I am looking up into the hole in the lower hood, and it is interesting to install this thing. Was considering using a magnet and socket to hold the nut??

Howsumever, it seems that anything else on the car that has had hands on it has been screwed up, including this small part.
Ahh... Welcome to the "old car club". Every old car was once just a used car that some hack mechanic worked on...

BTW gentlemen, in both examples, the nut sits on the spacing block. Is it attached and spins, or loose. I am looking up into the hole in the lower hood, and it is interesting to install this thing. Was considering using a magnet and socket to hold the nut??
It is a captured nut that spins.

Thanks again Six. And John, I am not sure what is worse for wear, the car, or me. When I was a kid, I just dove in, took my engine out and rebuilt in 63, and would just take complicated motorcycle engines apart for repair, no sweat. And now, I fret at just driving my beastly down the road, and have to think for ever before getting hands dirty. Old age aint all its cracked up to be.

Thanks again Six. And John, I am not sure what is worse for wear, the car, or me. When I was a kid, I just dove in, took my engine out and rebuilt in 63, and would just take complicated motorcycle engines apart for repair, no sweat. And now, I fret at just driving my beastly down the road, and have to think for ever before getting hands dirty. Old age aint all its cracked up to be.
I hear ya.........They call them the "Golden Years". I'm pretty sure they got there colors mixed up. More like "Rusty"

Back