NOT MINE 1956 Chrysler New Yorker 2dr Newport Hardtop - "Previously owned by Richard & Karen Carpenter" - Hi-Way Hi-Fi record player - Monterey, CA Auction

marty mopar

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Tempe AZ (hotter than a turd on a frypan)
For auction on Autabuy.com: 1956 Chrysler New Yorker 2dr Newport Hardtop in Monterey, CA - Auction Aug 16 - 19 in Monterey, CA - Call
Mecum Collector Car Auctioneers in Walworth, WI: 262-275-5050

Link: https://www.autabuy.com/classifieds/93298153/-1956-Chrysler-New-Yorker-2dr-Newport-Hardtop

Auctioneer's Description:
1956 Chrysler New Yorker 2dr Newport Hardtop
  • Engine: 354/250 HP V-8
  • Exterior Color: Cloud White / Soft Rose
  • Interior Color: Cloud White / Soft Rose
  • Stock #R343
Highly original condition Previously owned by Richard and Karen Carpenter 1 of 4,155 Newport Hardtops produced in 1956 354/250 HP Hemi V-8 engine Pushbutton PowerFlite automatic transmission Cloud White and Soft Rose paint with matching original interior
  • Power steering
  • Power brakes
  • Steering wheel clock
  • Hi-Way Hi-Fi 16 2/3 RPM record player
  • Featured at the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich, New York for two years
  • Original documents, service records, articles and photos included
  • Scrapbook made by Karen Carpenter with photos and memorabilia from car shows
For more information, please visit mecum.com. This vehicle will be sold at auction, and is not available for direct purchase

image.png.0a94b1acb9a77ff5a5951e1b20f295f2.png

Odd at best.... she was 6 and he was like 9 when it was built. So i guess they are saying the brother-sister team bought it much much later?? And who buys a car and titles your siblings on a car anyway??

Karen and Richard Carpenter were born into a Mopar family, and both were Mopar fans. First I heard about it was back in the days when Karen Carpenter's death was still recent news and her 62 Chrysler 300-H convertible was featured in a car magazine. Richard Carpenter has an impressive car collection including several Mopars. One of their cars that is still in the collection is the black 65 Satellite convertible their dad bought new. They shared the use of that car when they were in college. The Satellite appears on the cover of the "As Time Goes By" album with Karen in the passenger seat and on the "Carpenter's Gold" album cover with Karen in the driver's seat. After Karen's death, a biographical film, "The Karen Carpenter Story" was made for TV with Richard Carpenter as director. For a Mopar fan, its worth watching for the cars as several of the cars from Richard Carpenter's collection, possibly some that may have belonged to Karen, and a couple Mopars belonging to their father, were used extensively in the movie. My guess is that before her death, the car collection likely had both their names on it, like an LLC. Some day I would love to see Richard Carpenter's car collection. Meanwhile, though her music may not be everyone's style, there is no denying her incredible talent and vocal range.

I believe the collection was more heavily populated with Mopars in the past. The current collection still includes a respectable number of amazing Mopars, including a 70 440 six pack Cuda that Richard ordered new at the start of their musical career (less than a year after signing a recording contract with A&M Records). He mentions that financially at that point it was a stretch. Really wanted the Hemi, but just couldn't make that happen that early in their career.

Last edited:
Back