66 Newport 3 speed stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Three speed on the column.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Yeah. Column. Oops. Still, it's an interesting car. I usually don't like red, but that looks pretty good. I would go look at it if anyone is interested.

That's high even for four speed cars.
Right brain says convert it.
Left brain says too much money to convert it on top of what he wants.

Where I comes' from, we calls' this a "3 spd on the tree":3gears:

I like how he took a picture of the data plate, and gave details about what it meant. Nice touch.

Nice car.

Wonder what source the 1 of 1 production comes from. Crystal ball or something more specific.

Put the stick on the floor and price it under $5K and I'd take a look at it.

Put the stick on the floor and price it under $5K and I'd take a look at it.
I've heard that it is impossible to convert the Chrysler 3 speed column shift to the floor.
The Hurst 3 speed won't work and Sparkomatic has been out of business for over 30 years.
Evidently there is no place on the tranny case where a shifter can mount to.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I think it would lose its novelty if the shifter were moved. It has survived this long, it would be a shame to mess with it now. Someone needs to buy it *because* it has the column shift, not to convert it. I think it's priced a few k too high too, but you never know what someone's willing to pay.

I learned to drive stick with a 3 on the tree... it would be kinda cool

I've heard that it is impossible to convert the Chrysler 3 speed column shift to the floor.
The Hurst 3 speed won't work and Sparkomatic has been out of business for over 30 years.
Evidently there is no place on the tranny case where a shifter can mount to.

Here is a friends 64 Newport with a factory 3 sp floor shift.

64 new yorker 3sp manual (Large).JPG

So they do exist...... Tell me pease, why would you want / order a 3 speed over the four?

The only reason I can think of would be because that's what the old guy had been driving all his life and that's what he's comfortable with.

The only reason I can think of would be because that's what the old guy had been driving all his life and that's what he's comfortable with.

This. There are still guys around that did more three onda tree than any other trans. Once you drive on for awhile, it gets very easy to drive. Plus, it was cheaper than as 4 speed.

Don't forget the year.
The salesman had to pull teeth with my father to convince him to take a car from off the lot with power steering.
My father balked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back