66 Newport fuel guage woes

JEP

Reaction score
I have a 66 Newport, fuel guage dead, found a post on checking pins on back of guage. All three were loose. Removed them and put in suggested, 2mm bolts. Plugged in and guage worked. So I bought the rte solid state limiter and put that in while guage cluster was out. Put all back together and guage doesn’t work, I can hook a potentiometer to it and the guage works. I switched out to old limiter still nothing. I have 12 volts to orange wire, I have 48 ohms reading on blue wire. Very frustrating.

For good measure, check the ground strap on the fuel line coming out of the sending unit on the tank. It has to be there and touching both the fuel line and the sending unit outlet nipple for the gauge to work in the car.

Just a thought,
CBODY67

For good measure, check the ground strap on the fuel line coming out of the sending unit on the tank. It has to be there and touching both the fuel line and the sending unit outlet nipple for the gauge to work in the car.

Just a thought,
CBODY67

this is what got my fuel gauge working again. If your strap is missing, strip the ends off of a small section of wire and tape it in place to test the system while you wait for the OEM strap to be delivered.
Keep us posted!

I have it grounded from sending unit, to the bolt that holds the fuel line to body, will that work or does it have to be line to line?

I have it grounded from sending unit, to the bolt that holds the fuel line to body, will that work or does it have to be line to line?

I did mine from the sending unit to the fuel line.
060A9F28-D584-4CA8-B681-13E4F6BD437C.jpeg

You can do either line to line or
Ground anywhere to the body near the sending unit.

I didn't have much luck with the little ground clip. The gauge would work on and off so I eliminated it and took
a piece of solid copper wire from a piece of Romex house cable and stripped off the insulation on each end. I sanded the surface rust on the metal fuel lines and attached each end of the copper wire to the fuel line with gas line clamps. No more problems with the gauge. I have done this on both of my '67 Furys. John

if you had a bad ground at the tank you wouldn't have 48 ohms at the gauge. I don't believe that is the problem. The fuel gauge is connected through a rectangular connector located near the ammeter. I have plugged it in incorrectly before. Investigate that connection. The solid stare regulator seems to be working. It worked before reassembling everything. The capacitor shouldn't be needed with it. It was necessary for eliminating noise heard through the radio when the original version would switch on/off.

Back