'66 Newport Radiator

5fty7vn

Reaction score
I'm needing to change out my radiator in my 66 Newport. I've found one that is a perfect fit but the shroud on my current radiator gets bolted to the side and the one I've found online gets bolted to the back side. Anyone know where I can find one that has the side mounts? Or even a shroud that would get mounted to the back on a new one? I can't seem to find one of those either. Thanks.

I'm needing to change out my radiator in my 66 Newport. I've found one that is a perfect fit but the shroud on my current radiator gets bolted to the side and the one I've found online gets bolted to the back side. Anyone know where I can find one that has the side mounts? Or even a shroud that would get mounted to the back on a new one? I can't seem to find one of those either. Thanks.

There's a good chance someone here will have what you need but you will need to start a parts wanted thread.

FYI, there are two sizes of radiator for a 66 Newp. So while there will be exceptions, below is a good starting point:

22" comes with NO AC, and if ordered, a METAL 2pc shroud that bolts to special brackets on the sides of the rad.

26" comes on cars WITH AC, and/or heavy duty cooling. Has a plastic 1 pc shroud that bolts to the rear of the rad.

The shrouds are not interchangeable, so be careful what rad you order. As well, the radiator support yokes are different for each rad.

Can your original rad not be recored? That way your original shroud will bolt back up no worries.

FYI, there are two sizes of radiator for a 66 Newp. So while there will be exceptions, below is a good starting point:

22" comes with NO AC, and if ordered, a METAL 2pc shroud that bolts to special brackets on the sides of the rad.

26" comes on cars WITH AC, and/or heavy duty cooling. Has a plastic 1 pc shroud that bolts to the rear of the rad.

The shrouds are not interchangeable, so be careful what rad you order. As well, the radiator support yokes are different for each rad.

Can your original rad not be recored? That way your original shroud will bolt back up no worries.

I'm sure it could be...........I just haven't gone down that road yet. Mine is a 22 inch core with factory AC. From what i've been able to find so far, it looks like I will have to go that route.

Really?? I find that interesting. Both your car and @LocuMob 's Monaco might be special order in that regard, and it seems odd that anyone would conciously choose to have diminished cooling capacity on such a car, when the factory deemed it necessary to do the upgrade to 26".

So, I guess it must have been possible to get a 22" rad on an AC car with a B or RB engine in 66, but I've never seen one so equipped. I could be wrong. Ya learn something every day!!

I know it's not a mid-production year change either, as my 66 T&C is a very very early ordered car, and it's got the 26" rad with AC.

I think that dealer installed AC (still considered "factory" by some) would have the car retaining the 22" rad, and would just add the shroud and clutch fan and 7 blade fan plus all the other engine bay AC parts (pulleys, adaptors, compressor etc.), and the evap and controls were hung under the dash. I had one once - a nice big Chrysler Airtemp knee knocker.

65 indash AC cars still had 22" rads FWIW.

Last edited:
I've had the thermostat and housing replaced, both hoses and new antifreeze put in within the past year. The issue i'm having is, even on short drives, i'll get home and coolant will be coming out of the overflow hose.

Really?? I find that interesting. Both your car and @LocuMob 's Monaco might be special order in that regard, and it seems odd that anyone would conciously choose to have diminished cooling capacity on such a car, when the factory deemed it necessary to do the upgrade to 26".

So, I guess it must have been possible to get a 22" rad on an AC car with a B or RB engine in 66, but I've never seen one so equipped. I could be wrong. Ya learn something every day!!

I know it's not a mid-production year change either, as my 66 T&C is a very very early ordered car, and it's got the 26" rad with AC.

I think that dealer installed AC (still considered "factory" by some) would have the car retaining the 22" rad, and would just add the shroud and clutch fan and 7 blade fan plus all the other engine bay AC parts (pulleys, adaptors, compressor etc.), and the evap and controls were hung under the dash. I had one once - a nice big Chrysler Airtemp knee knocker.

65 indash AC cars still had 22" rads FWIW.

Here's a photo of my AC controls

AC.jpg

Yup, factory AC. In regards to puking coolant after driving - is the car overheating? If so, there's an issue. If not, and the gauge reads OK temp-wise, then it's possible you're over-filling the rad. Don't fill it right up to the neck, but leave it about 2" down. Typically they'll stop puking once it gets down to the level that allows for rad fluid expansion to fill the available space in the rad without overflowing (roughly 2" down). Your cap may also be weak.

Yup, factory AC. In regards to puking coolant after driving - is the car overheating? If so, there's an issue. If not, and the gauge reads OK temp-wise, then it's possible you're over-filling the rad. Don't fill it right up to the neck, but leave it about 2" down. Typically they'll stop puking once it gets down to the level that allows for rad fluid expansion to fill the available space in the rad without overflowing (roughly 2" down). Your cap may also be weak.

No, that's the kicker. It has NEVER overheated. I was thinking it was overfilled too but, silly me, I thought to myself a mechanic wouldn't overfill the radiator........LOL. I'll have to go look and see how much coolant is in it now...........

......and the cap is brand new as well.

OK, just let it puke until it doesn't.

Edit: it's best though (and I should have suggested this regardless), install an overflow tank.

Last edited:
Cold Case makes a direct fit 26" C body unit that is different than all the 26" aluminum units you see. In addition to bolting to the support properly, you can bolt your original C-body shroud to our radiator. You can't do that with the others. It's also an oversized core so it can handle AC, BB and High performance applications.

PM for a special C-body member price.

The FSM instructs us to fill the radiator to 1.25" below the bottom of the radiator filling neck. I made a dipstick out of a wooden ruler to help me keep it just right.

Back