66 Sport Fury Keep the 383 or go 440 ?? Worth the cash?

66 Sport Fury Keep the 383 or go 440 ?? Worth the cash?

• Yez

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

MoparJon

Reaction score
Maybe you fellas can shed some light,
Have my Sport fury last 20 years ,I have a 383 in it 727 , doing brake upgrades, suspension all that good stuff, The 383 I remember had a lot of kick, But I feel this should be a 440 Super Commando. Worth the money or open the 383? , it probably will need a complete rebuild. Want this car to be a sleeper with 400 plus ponies to move this 4100 pound beast....
Thanks

Think about a stroker kit for the 383 as another option. 438 or 496 cubic inches....

Think about a stroker kit for the 383 as another option. 438 or 496 cubic inches....
From a Money standpoint what do you think about that, mind you I don’t take it to the track probably won’t, But maybe I will. A nice driver, but at the same time, If I some kid in a newer challenger I want to be able to dump a Gear and let him see my headlights. A nice Street Beast ..
I have an Old school Mopar guy out here who builds and sells Engine based on what you want so getting a 440is not an issue

A nice driver, but at the same time, If I some kid in a newer challenger I want to be able to dump a Gear and let him see my headlights.

Doesn't that mean you are behind him anyways?
You will or will not drive it on the highway? If you don't drive it on the highway and want a stop light cruiser a new rear end ratio might do it. Is the rear end ratio 3.23?
Money I guess is the limit.
Depending on the Challenger you pick on ,you won't have a chance. [maybe a rental] man those look like $hit

Lol true true
My tablet acting up sorry crazy texts. But that’s what I was asking , and your right it’s all about cash

Point is, with the stroker, you still have the external size of the 383, as there are probably more things to adapt for a RB that are "bolt-on" for a stroker 383. But you get the size of the 440, in displacement. If you start with a "core" 440, it'll still need a rebuild, so why not rebuild the 383 and slip a stroker rotating assy at the same time?

I suspect that even V-6 Challenger/Charger will easily display their tail lights to you. Those danged 8-speed automatics and their deep low gear ratios. And those Mustang drivers, just wave them on to joust with a Camaro or something. As you cruise on down the road, enjoying life. After all, they're just looking for "easy pickings" to shore-up their ego, anyway.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Point is, with the stroker, you still have the external size of the 383, as there are probably more things to adapt for a RB that are "bolt-on" for a stroker 383. But you get the size of the 440, in displacement. If you start with a "core" 440, it'll still need a rebuild, so why not rebuild the 383 and slip a stroker rotating assy at the same time?

I suspect that even V-6 Challenger/Charger will easily display their tail lights to you. Those danged 8-speed automatics and their deep low gear ratios. And those Mustang drivers, just wave them on to joust with a Camaro or something. As you cruise on down the road, enjoying life. After all, they're just looking for "easy pickings" to shore-up their ego, anyway.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I’ll be honest I have a 72 challenger with a Nasty 340 and the normal Bolton’s and goodies with a rearend. V6 and 5.9 , I can still have fun with and the usual 5.0 mostly stock.
It was a figure a speech more so a joke, those 392 Challenger are pretty Far out , crazy transmissions....

My 65 Sport Fury had a 1969 383 and ran 14.30's in the quarter. I swapped the engine for a 440, kept the same cam, carb, and heads. Ran a 13.40 right off the bat. My suggestion would be to go for it and don't look back.

Nice Man
about your 65 , its like a foot smaller. Like I said Ive had my 66 for close to 20 years, but felt a 440 would be the right thing to do with this car, I have only seen 1 Sport Fury Super commando and very few 4 speed and have never seen a 440 4 speed. Gentleman car my ***, my Pops would tell me about these cars they were nasty and fast, take those skirts off and let it loose , with the right set up.

The 65 and 66 Furys are identical in size. The 64's were smaller. If I am not mistaken, you could get a 440 4-speed in a 66 fury. 1966 was the first year for the 440 (was 426 wedge in 65).

From a Money standpoint what do you think about that, mind you I don’t take it to the track probably won’t, But maybe I will. A nice driver, but at the same time, If I some kid in a newer challenger I want to be able to dump a Gear and let him see my headlights. A nice Street Beast ..
I have an Old school Mopar guy out here who builds and sells Engine based on what you want so getting a 440is not an issue

Stroke risk the way to go. You can do the existing 383 or come up with a 400 block, early casting if possible, 440 crank and you are set. Bythetime you amass all the parts for a 440 you would be better off with a striker. Ultimate sleeper. Poor mans Hemi.

Stroke risk the way to go. You can do the existing 383 or come up with a 400 block, early casting if possible, 440 crank and you are set. Bythetime you amass all the parts for a 440 you would be better off with a striker. Ultimate sleeper. Poor mans Hemi.

Poor mans Hemi ???

The 65 and 66 Furys are identical in size. The 64's were smaller. If I am not mistaken, you could get a 440 4-speed in a 66 fury. 1966 was the first year for the 440 (was 426 wedge in 65).
in 66 you could also get a 440 4 speed in a wagon

So this poll is "keep the 383 or go with a 440" but it's a yes or no option.

It will probably be cheaper and easier to go with a 383 stroker than swapping in a 440. A 440-source stroker kit is $2450 (Darn! They raised their prices before I bought one!). A rebuild kit with pistons, rings, etc. is about $1000. That means it costs about $1500 extra to put in a 496. That's probably pretty close to what you would spend on a new block, new accessory drives, intakes, etc.

The increase in price tempers my enthusiasm a bit, but I still think it will be easier to use your current block, accessories, etc., and put in a stroker. More sleeperish, too.

So this poll is "keep the 383 or go with a 440" but it's a yes or no option.

It will probably be cheaper and easier to go with a 383 stroker than swapping in a 440. A 440-source stroker kit is $2450 (Darn! They raised their prices before I bought one!). A rebuild kit with pistons, rings, etc. is about $1000. That means it costs about $1500 extra to put in a 496. That's probably pretty close to what you would spend on a new block, new accessory drives, intakes, etc.

The increase in price tempers my enthusiasm a bit, but I still think it will be easier to use your current block, accessories, etc., and put in a stroker. More sleeperish, too.

How’s it going Baja, I make my Runs out there to Rosarito /Ensenada , Thanks for the Tip , Funny maybe you can also help if you know can refer me to some quality auto body guys , prices are too damn crazy......

I spent most of my Mexico time further south, from the Seven Sisters area down to Abreojos.

I'm currently in the second year of a 3-month paint project. I'm now on my second TJ paint and body guy. It's looking good this time around, so once I've gotten the car back, I'd be happy to share contact info if you're interested.

Edited to add: Depending on several things, my 2019 car plan may be to rebuild engine, trans and rear end. I'm seriously considering running a 505 stroker in my imperial. So I'm really curious how your project comes out.

A 440 with the stock bore/stroke would give a nice amount of torque for moving the Fury. My Imperial has its original smog block swapped to a 440 from ´67, which moves the barge surprisingly quickly.

Last edited:
I spent most of my Mexico time further south, from the Seven Sisters area down to Abreojos.

I'm currently in the second year of a 3-month paint project. I'm now on my second TJ paint and body guy. It's looking good this time around, so once I've gotten the car back, I'd be happy to share contact info if you're interested.
I'm looking forward also, Paint and auto body is crazy expensive now a days, decent t work costs 4/5 k , it's crazy

Edited to add: Depending on several things, my 2019 car plan may be to rebuild engine, trans and rear end. I'm seriously considering running a 505 stroker in my imperial. So I'm really curious how your project comes out.

Back