440 in a ‘65 Sport Fury

Scout63

Reaction score
I’m going to pull the 383-2v in my ‘65 Sport Fury convertible this winter for a rebuild. It will be my first automotive engine rebuild although I’ve rebuilt many motorcycle engines.

I have purchased a 1969 440 short block bored .040 over, rods reconditioned and balanced and crank turned .010 under. Here are a few pictures. The engine shop is going to build it up for me with a roller cam, aluminum heads, aluminum intake and single four barrel carb. We are discussing possible combinations. I intend to hold the rebuilt original 383 for possible reinstallation. It seems like a lot of money and effort, but it’s a hobby….

I will not be doing the engine pulling and installation myself and have a great local Mopar mechanic. I m going to ask him to go through the clutch, driveline, rear end and exhaust at the same time. Obviously I’m not going for originality but want a somewhat low key yet more powerful engine under the hood. Any and all feedback and suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Ben

IMG_0089.png

IMG_0087.png

IMG_0086.png

IMG_0091.png

Need to see a shot of the front of the 440 block. Specifically, the driver side front corner. The 65 Fury has a unique, one year only, motor mount. Not all RB blocks will have the correct mounting pads.

Make sure the crank is drilled or will accept the correct pilot bushing for your manual input shaft.
Thats a great sized car to put a 440 in!!

if your crank is not drilled deep enough , you can use the jeep needle bearing , it going in the end of the crank . but you will need to cut some off the trans input shaft so it won't run into the crank hole end .

Here are a couple of pictures. Is it possible to see if the motor mounts are correct?

IMG_0096.png

IMG_0095.png

IMG_0088.png

If im remembering right, looks like what you need is there in the way of bosses, just not drilled and tapped.
Should be easy enough to go out and examine the 383 there at the front of the motor to confirm.

***EDIT*** Now i remember you from the welcome wagon....thats one nice ride!!

Yes, that block has the needed mounting pads. You will just need to drill and tap them.
Not so fast. Those bosses are not machined. You need to machine them first then drill and tap.

Very surprised that the block has the bosses. My 69 440 does not have the bosses. My 67 440 does not have them either. My 66 383 does. Late 70's 440s have them but they were 5/16 thread instead of 3/8 because they were used for power steering pump mounting. I don't know what the boss height was on those.

You will need to measure the distance from the back engine mount boss to the boss face on your existing 383 and then duplicate it on this 440 if you are going to use it. You probably will need to put it on a decent sized horizontal mill or find a larger vertical mill to do it on.

Some change the subframe to a 66 and then use standard engine mounts.

You can also determine the necessary boss height by measuring the engine mount. I have sapre engine mounts and can get you a measurement if you need one.

Thanks 65. I will be reaching out to you when we get to that point. This is not something I can do myself. Ben

I put a 73 440 in my 65 sport fury. Used a engine mount kit from Schumacher engine swaps. Had to drill and tap holes for the mount but worked out great!

I put a 73 440 in my 65 sport fury. Used a engine mount kit from Schumacher engine swaps. Had to drill and tap holes for the mount but worked out great!
I also have the Schumacher engine mount in my 65 Fury. It uses the standard widely available rubber mount.

That is the first 60's 440 I have seen with those bosses cast into it.

For more detail of what others have mentioned:
The blue holes would be used for the factory 65 C-body bracket, and the red locations need drilled/tapped for the Schumacher bracket.

I wonder if this is a rare block intended for a 69 440 Cuda, that did not get used for that purpose?
The bigblock A-bodies used the 65 C-body mount also.

1699720175062.png

Obviously I’m not going for originality but want a somewhat low key yet more powerful engine under the hood. Any and all feedback and suggestions will be gratefully accepted. Ben
Personally, I would not do an aluminum-headed, roller-cam 440 for a pristine car like yours. It would be out of character, and you don't have the rear tires for it anyway.

I do understand the desire for more power than a 383-2, but I would think that a mildly-souped 383 would be more suitable? Or a 350 or 375hp-spec 440 would be very nice.

That is the first 60's 440 I have seen with those bosses cast into it.

For more detail of what others have mentioned:
The blue holes would be used for the factory 65 C-body bracket, and the red locations need drilled/tapped for the Schumacher bracket.

I wonder if this is a rare block intended for a 69 440 Cuda, that did not get used for that purpose?
The bigblock A-bodies used the 65 C-body mount also.

View attachment 627052
I don't think that is correct. Schumacher uses the original mounting holes just a different rubber insulator.

Here are pics of my Schumacher mount. And I agree - could the block have been for an A body?

IMG_5076.JPG
IMG_5077.JPG

Back