66 Sport Fury 'vert - 440 A/C

commando1

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
There are no other C-bodies around here so when a shop gets one in and they need help, I usually get a call.

So this morning got a call from a shop where a guy brings in his '66 Sport Fury that he just got off of ebay. Loaded with all the options but a Bondo Special. Everything neglected, bypassed, not working, etc. The new owner was ripped off terribly.

Anyway, I already told him not to buy the quarters he found on ebay, told him the price of all the HVAC components ( picked him up off the ground after that, told him it's pronounced Gay-len Go-vier and the piece of paper means nothing, blah blah, blah. Yet another clueless ebay victim.

He was most visibly shaken when I told him the block was a 383...

Anyway, I'm horrible with fender tags and I told him I'd try to help him out by asking here to decode it. Thanks.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics but best under the circumstances.

pQtd4ht.jpg

01i5kAw.jpg

Not sure if I could read all of the numbers correctly:
Production date April 07, 1966
Shipping order 04336
Car line PLYMOUTH Fury
Price class Premium
Body type convertible
Trim Grade Premium [32P]
Seat type Bucket vinyl [334]
Trim color Red [34R]
Paint 1 White [27W]
Paint 2 White [28W]
Paint scheme Mono tone paint [291]
Upper door frame paint (UNKNOWN)
Engine 383 4bbl HP 8cyl 325hp B [376/382]
Transmission Transmission-Torqueflite automatic [395]
26in radiator yoke
Power equipment Power bucket-LH 6way [454]
Radio Radio-solid state AM/FM 5.5W [423]
Heater Air conditioning w/ heater [411]
Front bucket seats Bucket seats [564]
Police accessories Heater-DELETE [416]
-OR- Speaker-reat seat [426]
Fender mounted turn signals Light-turn indicator hood/fender mounted [517]
Mirrors Mirror-outside LH remote [536]
-OR- Moulding-bumper reveal [546]
Vehicle sales/delivery Spotlight-LH 5in pillar mounted [671]
-OR- Oversize manual antenna [681]
-OR- Sold car/expedite [691]

As I suspected. Poor guy...
Thank you. I appreciate it greatly.
Now to call him with more bad news...

Second row, first letter "A", it looks like a "6" underneath, but it is a bit blurry. If it is a "4" then make that a 318, an "8" then it's a 440. I'm sure you are correct with the visual inspection of the engine. Still nice with factory AC. How much did he spend?

Is there anything the guy can do about the car not being what was represented? Being a 383 instead of a 440? I guess That's why you need to look at a car in person instead of relying on someone's pics and info. I do like the Fury, I think it looks nice in white, my brother had one just like that , but not a ragtop. The dash from what I remember had toggle switches for heater, lights, etc something different.

Is there anything the guy can do about the car not being what was represented? Being a 383 instead of a 440? I guess That's why you need to look at a car in person instead of relying on someone's pics and info. I do like the Fury, I think it looks nice in white, my brother had one just like that , but not a ragtop. The dash from what I remember had toggle switches for heater, lights, etc something different.

There is a guaranteed refund through Ebay if the item is not as described, so yes.

What is interesting is that the VIN photo in the ebay auction does point to 440, so I may be wrong with my tag decode:

Fifth digit = engine
A - 170 1-1BBL 6 Cylinder "G" engine
B - 225 1-1BBL 6 Cylinder "RG" engine
C - Special Order 6 Cylinder engine
D - 273 1-2BBL 8 Cylinder "LA" engine
E - 318 1-2BBL 8 Cylinder "LA" engine
F - 361 1-2BBL 8 Cylinder "B" engine
G - 383 1-2BBL 8 Cylinder "B" engine
H - 426 2-4BBL 8 Cylinder "RB" engine (Hemi)
J - 440 1-4BBL 8 Cylinder "RB" engine
K - Special Order 8 Cylinder engine

$_57.JPG

I looked long and hard at that block and...
I need to go back and look at it again.

The VIN tag looks right with the correct rosette rivets.

He bought into a real mess.
Exterior house paint slathered over everything. I mean everything.
Bondo in every conceivable area and less obvious places.
All the trim is badly and deeply pitted and sprayed over w/aluminum paint.
Trunk pan and floor pans shot.
Pedro's While-U-Wait upholstery.
A lot of corrosion and mold.
The car doesn't look anywhere as presentable as the ebay pics. This guy got flukked badly.
He wants to "fix it up". Hoo-boy....

my first take is the "j" is indeed 440 if correct door plate. Sure doesn't look as rough as data plate!
The "H" engine code is a database mistake. H is a 383. They done same thing in 67. I had a 67 SF 4 speed H code, thought it was a hemi! Wrong!
The data plate has been messed with obviously. Not sure why/what though.
There is a good decode link at Mymopar tech site. You can just plug in the codes and it will spit out what you have.
Not a 100% though.
It did my 68 300 pretty well
Don't have link with me at work. will check later at home and post it
Whats strange is: I always thought J code in 66 was indedd a Hemi!
Tom

I had seen that on ebay for awhile. Interesting you got the call to look at it after the purchase. Just shows how much pictures can hide. If that car didn't have the spec'd engine in it the seller would have it parked up his A#*.

Educate me. So what would have been a fair price for this car if, in fact, it is a 383 instead of a 440??

Back