67 Fury 3, 440 swap help

Ed Ed Eddie

Reaction score
I have a 67 Fury 3 convertible with a 383, but I want to see if there will be any problems if I want to swap a 440 into it. Let me know if any of you have heard or had any problems with a swap like that thanks.

I have a 67 Fury 3 convertible with a 383, but I want to see if there will be any problems if I want to swap a 440 into it. Let me know if any of you have heard or had any problems with a swap like that thanks.

No issues. Same transmission, same motor mounts. Depending on what you car has for a radiator, you may want one with more capacity. Simply put, a 440 is essentially a taller 383.

I’m glad to hear that, so here’s the next question. It’s a 77 bare bones block with the crank. I want to push out 550 ponies out of it with a $5000.00 budget.

what has been done to your 440’s to raise the compression on them to get to that point.? I’ve looked at the 440 source stroker kits and stealth heads, they sound like great options, any other options anyone suggest?

500 hp will probably require some upgrades to the automatic transmission, too. Probably complete rebuild with performance frictions and such. Probably some brake upgrades, too!

Why is that "500" number important? Just curious . . .

CBODY67

I figured I could get to 500 safely and without breaking the bank, also it would move the car pretty good. I would like more then that but it seems that when you get to that 600 and above you’re going to start spending a lot more.
I want to keep the car as a street cruiser that just screams down the road.

In order to "move the car good", think TORQUE at 3000rpm rather than horsepower at 5000rpm. Torque is what gets things moving.

I realize that with all of the current 700+ horsepower engines in new vehicles, a mere 400 horsepower just seems inadequate, by comparison, as far as numbers go. But 400 horsepower with 500+lbs-ft of torque at 3000rpm will generally work quite well. Especially if you don't add the 8-speed automatic into the mix (with its approx 4.8 low gear ratio). No need for a rough idle in that mix, either!

If you build a "torque motor that rpms", rather than chasing an arbitrary horsepower figure, things might work better than you suspect. An easier-to-live-with situation, from my observation. Might not be as fast as it could have been, but when it starts easily, gets decent fuel economy on the road, and has sharp off-idle throttle response, those experiences can make up for that little bit of lost horsepower.

Remember, too, that "torque" happens in the normal driving range of rpm and speed. "Horsepower" only happens at 5000+ rpm. BTAIM

There might always be somebody with a bigger cam, hogged-out cylinder heads, or higher compression that brags about their combination being "the best" and what YOU need to do, too. But when you mimic what they did, things might not work out as well for you. What they didn't tell was what it took to get their combination tweaked, which can sometimes take extra/additional care to keep things going. Do what works for YOU rather than THEM. With the appropriate degree of "high maintenance" for your desires.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

The torque level associated with 550hp + a convertible seems like maybe a not-great-combination to me.

Back