‘67 Fury 440 Stroker Rearend Humming Noise

SportFury70

Reaction score
So if you remember, I made a post about helping out my stepdad with his ‘67 Fury 520” stroker that had some engine issues. This post here….. 67 Fury 440 Engine Problems. Luckily we figured that out and it runs really good now, BUT we have another problem with the car that’s been going on for a couple years now too. The rearend has a humming noise and it gets worse the more you drive it. The pumpkin was rebuilt 3 times with new fluid being put in everytime it was done, and new axle bearings were also put in too. My stepdad is fed up with this car again so I figured I would see what everyone thinks is wrong with it.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I suspect the sound is speed related? When does the sound start to get louder? Does the pitch change as the car might be swayed from side to side at 45mph? What gear ratio? Sure Grip? An 8.75" rear axle?

Might need to pull the assy out and check the engagement pattern on the ring gear, just to make sure what it looks like.

CBODY67

Is it possible the axel housing is bent? I had an 8 & 3/4" housing on a 58 Plymouth that was making a humming noise, it turned out that the housing was bent. In my case though it was the bearing on the end of the axel that was making the noise. I replaced the whole assembly with a housing from an E-body Barracuda which bolted right in.

I suspect the sound is speed related? When does the sound start to get louder? Does the pitch change as the car might be swayed from side to side at 45mph? What gear ratio? Sure Grip? An 8.75" rear axle?

Might need to pull the assy out and check the engagement pattern on the ring gear, just to make sure what it looks like.

CBODY67

The sound is speed related yes, and it gets louder at anything over 25mph. The pitch does not change as the car gets swayed at 45mph no. Sorry I should of mentioned all the rearend details when I first posted this, but yes it is a sure-grip with a 3.23 ratio and an 8.75” axle. The ring gear was already checked and is all new.

Just a gut suspicion not based in anything factual, BUT did they set it up like they would set-up a rear end for "racing" (where power consumption can be important, moreso than "sounds"? Or did they set it up for normal use? Where longevity and such are important. I would hope that both might be the same, but sometimes they might be a bit different. Which is why I mentioned taking the pumpkin out and checking the gear pattern on the teeth.

Additionally, might there be something like a pinion seal deflector (on the pinion yoke) that might be a bit out of alignment and hitting the nose of the pumpkin as it spins?

Thanks,
CBODY67

The sound is speed related yes, and it gets louder at anything over 25mph. The pitch does not change as the car gets swayed at 45mph no. Sorry I should of mentioned all the rearend details when I first posted this, but yes it is a sure-grip with a 3.23 ratio and an 8.75” axle. The ring gear was already checked and is all new.
Stock tapered bearings or "Green" bearings on the axles?

stupid as it sounds...if it didn't do it jacked up (were stands under the chassis or rear?)...check front wheel bearings, sometimes sound can travel in weird ways...tires can wear funny and make noise, see if you feel any cupping on the tread...perhaps exhaust system hitting floor or rear axle at ride height but not jacked up...urethane bushings (or just bad ones) or mounts that transfer more driveline noise into the car

Just a gut suspicion not based in anything factual, BUT did they set it up like they would set-up a rear end for "racing" (where power consumption can be important, moreso than "sounds"? Or did they set it up for normal use? Where longevity and such are important. I would hope that both might be the same, but sometimes they might be a bit different. Which is why I mentioned taking the pumpkin out and checking the gear pattern on the teeth.

Additionally, might there be something like a pinion seal deflector (on the pinion yoke) that might be a bit out of alignment and hitting the nose of the pumpkin as it spins?

Thanks,
CBODY67

My stepdad said that he told them it’s a street car and to set it up for street use and there is a pinion seal deflector and it’s fine. It has a new pinion and seal in it.

There's no timeframe/mileage noted above, so just throwing this out there:
I doubt they'd last very long if they weren't, but did the new axle bearings get greased fully?
They are not lubed by the gear oil like other axles.

There's no timeframe/mileage noted above, so just throwing this out there:
I doubt they'd last very long if they weren't, but did the new axle bearings get greased fully?
They are not lubed by the gear oil like other axles.

I would have to look again to know the exact mileage but I know it’s relatively low, I asked my stepdad and he said the car is in the 600-800 mile range. My stepdad also says the bearings were fully greased by the shop that rebuilt it. I fully disagree with this, but he says “I’m just gonna drive it till it blows up”.

I understand his frustration.
But I'd recommend at least pulling the axles to see if the bearings are actually greased.
I was driving a Jeep pickup truck many years ago that had had an axle bearing fail, and the axleshaft spiraled out while I was driving it and I slid on the brake backing plate and wore a flat spot on the bottom of it.
That sort of damage isn't pretty, esp on a car where the tire won't clear the wheel lip.

Back