67 new yorker drum brakes

I'd have to say that 2/3rds of the snowbirds down here come from three states. Michigan, Missouri, and Ohio, in that order.

< Sent from my tablet >

It does kill me how many people from MI are down here in FL. The cars still have MI plates on them. Everytime I take them out I get a bunch of people commenting on them, and how they are from there, or live there. From young to old, all age groups.

And all of them aredown here because they took the early retirement package offered to them by the auto makers....

Funny comments guys but seriously is it hard to find front brake shoes? I'll be needing them at some point and want to know where to buy them. Thanks.

How's it goin I've got a 66 NewYorker 2 door and I ordered my front brake drums from a local parts place they are 3 inch drums

Oh, did we get off topic again?
i would disassemble for inspection and to see what else you might require and take a measurement at that point. Take the drums to the parts counter and have the drums turned and have them give you the appropriate shoes for the drums while you're there. Go install the shoes and whatever else needs replaced and then go back to store because your drums will probably be done.

The shoe is actually measured by brake drum diameter (will be 11") and the brake shoe width itself (90% are 3", 10% are 2 3/4"). The brake shoe is then deemed to be 11" x 3" or 11" x 2 3/4" -- these are, of course, U.S.A. measurements...
I have everything for you, if needed; both sets of brake shoes, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, brake hoses, wheel bearings & seals, brake hardware -- combi and adjuster kits, and BRAKE DRUMS, and emergency brake cables, all BRAND NEW, Front & Rear......

My 65 Newport has 11" x 3" drums in front. It is a base model w/ auto trans, power brakes, and non-factory AC. I never heard of smaller shoes in the front, but who knows what the factory did. The cracked linings shown is not unusual. If plenty of thickness left, I just continue using like that and never had a problem. Since you guys have me worried on availability, I checked sources.

Rockauto lists for front drums:
Centric 12263045, 11" x 3", $49
Raybestos 1924R, 11" x 2.75", $82
Bendix PDR0019 for Police, taxi, tow package, $89

I recall my rears are 2.5", which rock mostly shows for their shoes. Perhaps the Raybestos above are actually rears. I jumped on some rear drums for my 65 Dart (rare) on rockauto, but received front drums (common). I trust Centric, since they give dimensions for all their drums. If your box says "Bendix Global", it will also say "made in China". Long ago, I worked for Bendix.

I post the best drawing I found of the Bendix drums below. The total width is 4.23", so I expect > 3" friction surface. Were there 3.5" wide shoes for police? BTW, for those challenged by unit conversions, search for "convert.exe" and it will solve all your problems.

rock shows many choices in shoes and fairly reasonable at $24-$40 per axle. The ones listed as 2" wide for rear is probably bogus info, which I see a lot there.

You won't be competing with me for these, since I still have a complete set of new drums I bought from a guy on Long Island, NY who had stacks of drums in his basement. That was long before ebay made that much easier.

Newport front drums - Bendix pdr0019.jpg

Bill, I recall my 66 Fury I manual brake /6 as 3" front and 2 3/4 rear. I also faintly remember that what I had didn't jive with that FSM.

< Sent from my tablet >

Back