67 Newport Radiator replacement, reusing fittings

OneEyed

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of replacing my radiator. I pulled the old transmission line fittings off the old radiator and cleaned them up. They look great, but before reinstalling onto the new radiator do I use any goop to seal them? There was so much crud on the old one, I can't tell for sure...

Looks like the drain cock has some Teflon tape. I've got a few rolls of white PTFE , is it all the same though? Yellow is for gas I think...

So I'm in the middle of replacing my radiator. I pulled the old transmission line fittings off the old radiator and cleaned them up. They look great, but before reinstalling onto the new radiator do I use any goop to seal them? There was so much crud on the old one, I can't tell for sure...

The transmission cooler lines are generally a standard flare fitting, those do not require any sealant. You might consider putting some teflon tape on the threads in case you need to take it apart sometime much later. Anti-seize compound accomplishes the same thing and can keep from breaking the receptacle out of the radiator at some future date. The regular white stuff works fine if using tape.

Dave

The transmission cooler lines are generally a standard flare fitting, those do not require any sealant. You might consider putting some teflon tape on the threads in case you need to take it apart sometime much later. Anti-seize compound accomplishes the same thing and can keep from breaking the receptacle out of the radiator at some future date.

Dave
Okay, just to clarify. I see that the line is flared as well as how it meets the fitting. But where the fitting screws into the radiator is what I'm wondering about...

Okay, just to clarify. I see that the line is flared as well as how it meets the fitting. But where the fitting screws into the radiator is what I'm wondering about...

Depending on the year, some were equipped that way, some had the flare fitting incorporated into the lower tank. If you have the kind that requires a fitting in addition to the flare, use thread sealant or teflon tape. Do not over tighten the fitting as you can damage the lower tank transmission cooler if you over tighten it.

Dave

Thread sealant on the threads is good... Noting around the taper or the fitting that screws to the taper. Just a little on the pipe threads that screw into the radiator.

I don't like to see teflon tape used here as the possibility of getting a sliver or two of the tape in the trans can happen. I know... I know... People use it all the time and if it's wrapped correctly, the risk is minimal. I have seen tape slivers get into hydraulic systems and cause all sorts of havoc when it hasn't been wrapped correctly or it's been reused a couple times.

My favorite sealer for this type of application is this stuff.... It contains teflon so it seals nicely and it's still easily removable. Some pipe "dopes" and the like can be hard to remove. https://www.permatex.com/products/t...nts/permatex-high-performance-thread-sealant/

The main issue with Teflon tape, is always keep it back from the edge of the work. I take a scissors if necessary to trim it and keep it back at least 1 thread from the end of the fitting. As John noted, you do not want any little pieces of tape getting into the cooler line. FYI always wrap tape to the opposite direction of your threads, ie. right hand thread, wrap tape to the left. That way the tape is tightened on the threads as you seat the fitting.

Dave

Last edited:
Back