67 Newport. What to look for?

Joseph James

Reaction score
I sold my Sport Fury last night. I found a 67 Newport. Parked in a garage since 2006. Seller says immaculate and running well. Should I expect to see bad brakes, belts, etc? It’s two hours away and I would prefer to drive it home.

23F0D5FC-E9AC-4713-9545-52F9F0322B92.jpeg

How far do you intend to drive it? After 14 years, the master cylinder and wheel cylinders are likely in bad shape. Pull the top off the master cylinder and see if it still contains fluid. You will probably find it empty. If the car has been parked for that long, you should probably not try to drive it unless the distance is very short. Radiator hoses, heater hoses, belts etc. are all an accident waiting to happen once the vehicle gets moving. Tires are also a concern as they are going to be out of round with flat spots from sitting and may well come apart.

Dave

most likely bad gas,no brakes as the fluid does evaporate. little or no antifreeze, trans fluid tends to leak after that long.unless, he started it up and drove it peroidically.

Looks like a great find, I hope it works out for you! Dave makes great points about the risks of trying to drive it home. It would probably be worth the cost of a ride on a flatbed to get it (and you) home safe.

Barry

Thanks guys. I messaged the owner and she doesn’t seem very interested in answering questions. I did see mold (mildew?) on the seats, otherwise not a bad looking Newport.

7F4F2B48-3BB6-4869-888D-F6FB86F6256C.png

Mildew suggest non heated storage, more reasons that the brakes are likely not reliable.

Dave

Parked in a garage since 2006

That's 16, going on 17 years. All the things listed above and more. If you were 10 minutes away... Yea, maybe... 2 hours? Geez... Maybe if you changed fluids, tires, belts etc. at the site, but do you really want to do that?

Seller says immaculate and running well

The seller isn't going to drive it home... Even if the seller is honest, is she a good judge to what is going on? Just cause it was running great when they pulled it into the garage (or that's how they remember it after these years) doesn't mean it is now and they may not know it. That's giving the seller the benefit of the doubt... and we all have had sellers, let's say. stretch the truth...

Rent/borrow a truck and trailer and go get it. You'll be money and time ahead.

'67 Newport Custom 4drht with factory buckets?

'67 Newport Custom 4drht with factory buckets?
Congrats on finding the Newport Custom.
I hope you got what you were asking for out of the SF.
I know you put a lot of work into that car.
I know you were daily driving the SF andd what are your plans for the Newport Custom?
Daily it too? if that is the case........

Tow it home for your own sake. Or get a U-haul truck and trailer.
If she wants the car gone,grab it cheap dont spend much time looking at it.
Keep in mind the price on a car needing repairs is a great bargaining tool versus a turn key driver.
Besides that mold is not good for your health breathing in that ****.
At least when it is home you can take a good look at everything.

If that car has a factory floor shift and buckets it is one of the 1% of all C's between 65-68 four door hardtops orderd that way.
What I seen so far that car has the extra cost 300 interior.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Congrats on finding the Newport Custom.
I hope you got what you were asking for out of the SF.
I know you put a lot of work into that car.
I know you were daily driving the SF andd what are your plans for the Newport Custom?
Daily it too? if that is the case........

Tow it home for your own sake. Or get a U-haul truck and trailer.
If she wants the car gone,grab it cheap dont spend much time looking at it.
Keep in mind the price on a car needing repairs is a great bargaining tool versus a turn key driver.
Besides that mold is not good for your health breathing in that ****.
At least when it is home you can take a good look at everything.

If that car has a factory floor shift and buckets it is one of the 1% of all C's between 65-68 four door hardtops orderd that way.
What I seen so far that car has the extra cost 300 interior.

Good luck!!
I did ok on the SF. Wasn’t expecting to even break even and I didn’t but it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about C body cars I never knew (thanks mostly to you folks). A young guy bought it. He’s coming Saturday to pick up the windshield and other parts I have for it.

Yes, it will be a daily. Driving home after work in the Fury was a stress reliever for me. I truly enjoyed it. Currently driving the wife’s 06 Ram 2500 mega cab. It isn’t fun. It’s for pulling a horse trailer.

I noticed the bucket seats in the Newport and thought it was odd. There is one other local Newport Custom

Description on the Newport custom:
1967 Chrysler Newport AC, V8 65000 miles been parked since 2006. Still runs great. In immaculate shape, clean interior. Garage kept. More information feel free to ask. ..needs to be cleaned inside and out from sitting so long. Read Less

Picof the other one attached.

Description of blue one:
1968 Chrysler Newport custom 4 door sedan

120,000 miles

383 2 barrel 727 automatic

Couple odd options like am fm stereo factory and still works

Cruise control

50 50 split front seats with armrests

Ac car and complete but not functioning may just need charged

Heat lights wipers speedo works

Gas guage works occasionally

Runs good

Newer tires carb and pertronix electronic ignition

Drives good for old power 4 wheel drum brakes

Car has been stored under cover with occasional use for years

New tires

See pics mostly original paint has had driver's quarter repainted long ago and it's dry cracking etc but wasn't rust repair and looking in trunk it must have been scraped

Car has plenty of bumps and bruises let's call it character but overall in fairly decent shape no rust holes etc has been stored indoors for a long time but don't be under the impression it's a show car because it's not

Interior is pretty good overall headliners perfect

driver's seat needs to be recovered passenger seat back has a split in it as well

Cash only located in Springfield Tennessee and must be seen here clean title in hand thanks Read Less

62CFCC69-E2BF-47F8-8022-4E2909FCF518.jpeg

Also, a 65 Dart 4 door my area $4k. New paint and interior. I prefer to stay C body. Also looked at the newer 300s. Why are they so cheap?

Last edited:
Newr 300's are good cars. They do drop in value quickly but that should not be a deal breaker.
I am on my second 300C and I love them as daily drivers. 340 HP with modern day creature comforts.
My 2008 has 148000 KM's on it and bought for 2500.00!! Plus is has been down to Tennessee and back last year no problems!!.
Grab the Newport for a toy, and get an LX 300 or Charger cheap to daily,LOL!!
Southern Christmas 2019 655.jpg

Newr 300's are good cars. They do drop in value quickly but that should not be a deal breaker.
I am on my second 300C and I love them as daily drivers. 340 HP with modern day creature comforts.
My 2008 has 148000 KM's on it and bought for 2500.00!! Plus is has been down to Tennessee and back last year no problems!!.
Grab the Newport for a toy, and get an LX 300 or Charger cheap to daily,LOL!!
View attachment 426968
Thanks for info. Just was curious why I see so many so cheap.

The female seller might not be answering questions because she does not know, or is maybe thinking you're looking for some guarantees of safe travels???

Back in the 1995-2005 era I drove a handful of C-bodies cars home sight-unseen, but things were different back then. I was younger, single, and more energetic/brave. And auto parts stores also had a lot more old Mopar parts on teh shelves. And no pandemic.

I agree with the others - trailering it is a good idea - but unless you're practiced at that, it's not guaranteed smooth sailing either.

I read somewhere that most cars will develop 'the problem' within the 1st 10 mins/miles of driving. Aside from a creeping overheat or dry wheel bearings, I think that's reasonably true.

If you can make the 2hr drive to thoroughly check the car out, then return another day in the early AM, carrying every spare part you could possibly change along the road, that might be a good compromise. I've done 2 long-distance trips that way and carrying a trunkload of parts caused Mr Murphy to smile on me. Taking a slower-speed State Road can make a slower/safer road trip, too.

The female seller might not be answering questions because she does not know, or is maybe thinking you're looking for some guarantees of safe travels???

Back in the 1995-2005 era I drove a handful of C-bodies cars home sight-unseen, but things were different back then. I was younger, single, and more energetic/brave. And auto parts stores also had a lot more old Mopar parts on teh shelves. And no pandemic.

I agree with the others - trailering it is a good idea - but unless you're practiced at that, it's not guaranteed smooth sailing either.

I read somewhere that most cars will develop 'the problem' within the 1st 10 mins/miles of driving. Aside from a creeping overheat or dry wheel bearings, I think that's reasonably true.

If you can make the 2hr drive to thoroughly check the car out, then return another day in the early AM, carrying every spare part you could possibly change along the road, that might be a good compromise. I've done 2 long-distance trips that way and carrying a trunkload of parts caused Mr Murphy to smile on me. Taking a slower-speed State Road can make a slower/safer road trip, too.

Going to look at an A body this afternoon. Mostly out of curiosity. 65 4 door Dart that seller states has new paint and interior.

Personally, I'd be hard-pressed to ever be satisfied with an A-body, esp a '66-older one. The are tiny, with small mechanical components (like 9" brakes), and very tinny in their body structure. Quite a step down from a C-body.
Not to say they are bad cars - just markedly different in feel.

Of the cars above - love the wheelcovers on the blue one, but turned off by the bent bumper.

Like the hardtop roof on the tan, and possibility that it has either a buddy seat or console. The seatbacks suggest it, as does the rear seat pattern, which is definitely '67 300. If it were just an folding armrest, it would be a bench seat. That car might be worth a trip just to see it?

What are the askign prices on the tan and blue cars?

Personally, I'd be hard-pressed to ever be satisfied with an A-body, esp a '66-older one. The are tiny, with small mechanical components (like 9" brakes), and very tinny in their body structure. Quite a step down from a C-body.
Not to say they are bad cars - just markedly different in feel.

Of the cars above - love the wheelcovers on the blue one, but turned off by the bent bumper.

Like the hardtop roof on the tan, and possibility that it has either a buddy seat or console. The seatbacks suggest it, as does the rear seat pattern, which is definitely '67 300. If it were just an folding armrest, it would be a bench seat. That car might be worth a trip just to see it?

What are the askign prices on the tan and blue cars?
Tan is $5500

Blue the same price. Owner of the blue port never responded to messages.

Lady with the Dart says she drives it and has the brakes and tune up done 2x a year.

492A23BF-0534-48FF-B3C2-D244D40B5F02.jpeg

The ride quality of the Dart is quite different compared to the C body you just sold.
The 2 Newports will have a longer wheelbase and upgraded ride quality compared to your SF.
Keep in mind the Dart is classified as a compact back in its day and will feel small again compared to any C

Back