67 Polara 500 convertible

I had the front end aligned in anticipation of the drive to New Orleans tomorrow.
The torsion bars had been cranked up way back in 1974 by the PO. I took a full 7 turns out of the adjustor bolt but it still sat to high for me. I had the alignment guy set the front 1" lower than the rear, (measured at the rocker pinch flange, front and rear), figuring it would compensate for a full tank of gas and a moderate load in the trunk as well as passengers. I now think it's to low in the front, but not to bad. I'll make this trip, (drives great now), and decide if I want to bring the front up an inch later.
I haven't had the new top installed yet, Maybe by the end of this month.
This how it looks now with a full tank of gas and some junk in the trunk.

View attachment 445351

You just can't help yerself. . . Can you?

I had the front end aligned in anticipation of the drive to New Orleans tomorrow.
The torsion bars had been cranked up way back in 1974 by the PO. I took a full 7 turns out of the adjustor bolt but it still sat to high for me. I had the alignment guy set the front 1" lower than the rear, (measured at the rocker pinch flange, front and rear), figuring it would compensate for a full tank of gas and a moderate load in the trunk as well as passengers. I now think it's to low in the front, but not to bad. I'll make this trip, (drives great now), and decide if I want to bring the front up an inch later.
I haven't had the new top installed yet, Maybe by the end of this month.
This how it looks now with a full tank of gas and some junk in the trunk.

View attachment 445351
With 15 inch tires,and measuring from center of the front wheel lip to the ground should be 27 to 27.5 inches.
Anything less will be too low.
Your whitewall should not be that close to the wheel lip IMHO.
Basically,the top of the tire should just be at the wheel lip--no gap.
Middle pic not loaded, last pic loaded for bear at the Air and Space Museum 2018
When empty,I have an inch rake at the pinch welds ahead of the rear wheels vs the front.
Hope this helps..
boab october 2017 001.JPG
BoaB June 2018 005.JPG
37215986_10155786295284499_7165743373884588032_n.jpg

Last edited:
Or you can check the factory spec for the front. 1-1/8” difference from the bottom end of the lower ball joint to the adjusting blade +- 1/8”
With that measurement my front is 8-1/4” from front pinch flange an 9” from rear pinch flange. That is with full fuel and original springs with one spring leaf replaced with a heavy duty one 35 years ago.

side photo from about 8’ ft back car 6” off ground for perspective.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Damn. Even the grease fittings are clean.
I only have direct control of a few things in life. Under my car is one of my happy places. I can shut out everything and recharge in my garage. Besides a well oiled machine shouldn’t be dripping or greasy.

The procedure in the manual was used to set the front height side to side. Actual height was measured at the pinch flange with the front being 1" lower. I think it's just a tad to low in front now... The only thing I dislike more that the front being to low, is the rear sagging. I'll raise the front just a little more and all should be well.

While the Polara is in the trim shop for the new top I decided to refinish the rear interior side panels and arm rests. I used Herbs products, adhesion promoter and interior paint. Great products!
Lots of cleaning and prep involved. The white pearl paint was interesting to apply. Many mist coats with waiting time between them. I wasn't sure until I looked at them this morning, very happy now.
I'll follow up with the front door panels once I get the car back from the trim shop.

DSC00094.JPG
DSC00096.JPG
DSC00097.JPG
DSC00098.JPG
DSC00099.JPG
DSC00100.JPG

Thank you. Once the new top is on and the interior reinstalled, it should be as nice as a 88K 54 year old used car can get. not sure what to do now...... :)

That car was the perfect project scope for what I would like to do next. I don’t want to mess with another full body restore, but mechanical, interior, and detailing tinkering is right up my alley. I would love to have that car, but you didn’t leave me much to tinker with. :)

That car was the perfect project scope for what I would like to do next. I don’t want to mess with another full body restore, but mechanical, interior, and detailing tinkering is right up my alley. I would love to have that car, but you didn’t leave me much to tinker with. :)

There always seems to be something left to do. LOL. I still struggle with original and up grade issues. Probably have gone past the "survivor" qualification by now.

[QUOTE="SportFury70

I would agree, more of a restoration now.

Thank you,
More of a serious refurbishing than a restoration. The paint is still original, not much detailing underneath and the mechanics, except for the valve job, are all original. It's as far as I'm going with it though.
:)

DSC00110.JPG
DSC00111.JPG
DSC00112.JPG
DSC00116.JPG
The new top is in place. Looks good. There are some wrinkles but I think a couple days in the sun will reduce them. Works great and seals around the glass nicely. It got rained on the first night it was home ad no leaks.

Last edited:
Back