67 Polara 500 convertible

well, good news and bad news today. Good news...… All the lighting on the car is now working. Head lights, running lights, turn signals, flashers, tag light, even the interior lights. I was starting to anticipate the Burma Shave signs on the way to Ocala. Then.....

Bad news. The blower motor would not function even though all seemed well. 12V to the motor lead and it still would not run. Right now the heater box is on the bench and apart so I may as well replace the heater core to. Rock auto lists both.
I was hoping to use the trip as a shake down for the mechanical condition and upgrades before getting after the body, interior, and detailing. Looks pretty dim right now.
Not a big deal. There's always New Orleans in March.

For my heat only’68, The rock auto blower motors fit ok, but the vent hole and rubber vent hose does not line up. I ended up taking the new motor apart and drilling a hole in the correct position and plugged the original hole. Maybe overkill but it bothered me that it didn’t match.
Details

68 Polara restore back on

Last edited:
Thanks. Nice job restoring the heater box. I think that if the vent tube hole dosent align I'll just send it back and look elseware.

I still may find an electric motor shop and have the original re- built. It seems to be a dying art though.

well, good news and bad news today. Good news...… All the lighting on the car is now working. Head lights, running lights, turn signals, flashers, tag light, even the interior lights. I was starting to anticipate the Burma Shave signs on the way to Ocala. Then.....

Bad news. The blower motor would not function even though all seemed well. 12V to the motor lead and it still would not run. Right now the heater box is on the bench and apart so I may as well replace the heater core to. Rock auto lists both.
I was hoping to use the trip as a shake down for the mechanical condition and upgrades before getting after the body, interior, and detailing. Looks pretty dim right now.
Not a big deal. There's always New Orleans in March.
bummer...

BTW the horse park show is coming the weekend of 11/9... I'm underwater at work right now, so my plan is to roll over Wed or Thu evening to set up camp and may crash there... but I likely will have to jog back to Orlando once or twice to keep things at work on track. Highlights this year include the new canopy, which is even more heavy duty than the last one... and the same size. I installed a Fantastic vent I had lying around in the popup... but haven't wired it yet. I had to, I was cleaning the trailer and the brush bumped the old vent and shattered the cover.

Good news is I have Monday off, so no pressure to pack up and leave early, thankfully. I enjoy the end of the weekend beers and watching the ants scurry to get out. It's probably as close to the lack of stress a retirement schedule allows, that I'll see anytime soon.

Since the car is becoming an iffy proposition, do you want to set up in the swap? If so, I have uncovered some more "treasure" to consider parting with. I think this year may be better than the last couple, Garlits doesn't appear to be running his own show the weekend before... as he has the the last couple of years. Don't expect me to be overly interested in sitting in the swap all day though, I'm as useless as ever.

Question... bring the big gas grille, or the little charcoal one? You know I'm not planning to make you suffer my cooking.

bummer...

BTW the horse park show is coming the weekend of 11/9... I'm underwater at work right now, so my plan is to roll over Wed or Thu evening to set up camp and may crash there... but I likely will have to jog back to Orlando once or twice to keep things at work on track. Highlights this year include the new canopy, which is even more heavy duty than the last one... and the same size. I installed a Fantastic vent I had lying around in the popup... but haven't wired it yet. I had to, I was cleaning the trailer and the brush bumped the old vent and shattered the cover.

Good news is I have Monday off, so no pressure to pack up and leave early, thankfully. I enjoy the end of the weekend beers and watching the ants scurry to get out. It's probably as close to the lack of stress a retirement schedule allows, that I'll see anytime soon.

Since the car is becoming an iffy proposition, do you want to set up in the swap? If so, I have uncovered some more "treasure" to consider parting with. I think this year may be better than the last couple, Garlits doesn't appear to be running his own show the weekend before... as he has the the last couple of years. Don't expect me to be overly interested in sitting in the swap all day though, I'm as useless as ever.

Question... bring the big gas grille, or the little charcoal one? You know I'm not planning to make you suffer my cooking.

I like the swap meet idea, I need to get rid of some more stuff. But the thought of being stuck out there isn't to appealing. Will need to think about that. I'll drive over on Thursday and give a hand with the set up. I'll likely be with the Big easy gang most of the weekend.

Charcoal grille works for me. Keep it simple. Besides, I don't remember you doing any cooking...:poke:
Staying until Monday is my plan too. The new vent in the pop up is a good idea for obvious reasons. I'll supply beer and music, we can work on the menu.
Looking forward to it. Always a good time there.

I can't find a direct replacement blower motor for the 67. I'd be happy with a used original that tests good. See my "parts wanted" ad.........

Some good progress last week. Front grille and trim back in place except for the bumper. I'm following a lead on one now. Dash is ready to go back together as soon as the heater box is back in place, pending locating a correct blower motor.
Tires, (235 X 75R 15 Cooper trendsetters), scheduled to be delivered Monday. Wheels are at the powder coaters. A set of 69/70 Dodge wheel covers are in hand.
This will put the car in driving condition.
DSC05048.JPG
DSC05051.JPG

Pic's of the dash panels and chrome A pillar interior garnish moldings.

Brazilian waxing the interior parts ? Get outta here. :D

DSC05051.JPG

Brazilian waxing the interior parts ? Get outta here. :D

View attachment 325558

LOL....... I haven't used that on anything yet. It was just on the table when I shot the photo. The trim pieces were lightly pitted with a heavy haze on them. I used Bright boy cleaner/polish and 0000 steel wool. they cleaned up nice but the pitting still shows in the light.

What's the exact dates of the horse show again?
Friday the 8th is the special event day put on by Big Easy Mopars, (the best part of the weekend), and Saturday the 9th is the show day.
Coming Stan? There's room in the pop up, I'm sure.:thumbsup:
What Will said... there's space you and Friday's Cajun feast is worthwhile.

Blower motor update. I soaked the original motor with a spray solvent/cleaner and blew it out with air. Crap flew every where. Now it runs great. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I love the great period look the Cooper tires lend to the Polara. Nice job by the powder coater on the wheels too. These are the "M" body 15 x 7 wheels I got recently. Designed for radial tires. Reduced flex should help keep the wheel covers in place.
DSC05055.JPG
DSC05056.JPG

Back