67 polara no start and im stumped.

Ironram

Reaction score
I bought this 67 polara few months back and got it up and running BUT it will not turn over with the key. It will turn over if I jump the relay or at the starter. I first assumed it was the relay so I installed a new one yesterday and still same thing. I pulled the ground cable's and cleaned all surfaces and reinstalled with no luck. I then checked ign switch and have power there and when I turn the key to start I have power at that terminal. pulled the plugs off the bulk head and cleaned still nothing. I have power at all fuses also. Im stumped am I over looking something? TIA.

Neutral safety switch.

I will check that. I read on here you can check that by disconnecting the brown wire at the relay and running a ground to that terminal is that correct? my relay has 4 terminals and the brown I belive is the lower right wire.

Yes, that should work if the brown wire is the one coming from the neutral switch.

The other way to check is to see if you have continuity to ground at the brown wire while the trans is in neutral and park.

Yes, that should work if the brown wire is the one coming from the neutral switch.

The other way to check is to see if you have continuity to ground at the brown wire while the trans is in neutral and park.[/QUOTE

Sure enough I grounded that terminal and she popped off with the key! awesome thanks for the help:eek:s_dancing2:

Well that was all the useless info I have.
Went and looked at Imperial club site they say there is a all aluminum one that was used by Mercedes 76-81 same as ATCII for $399 from some guy in TN.. This will not work in yours?

There were two ATC-II's. Yah. Weird. I know. The second Gen ATC-II started in '74. It was far superior. Still an unholy nightmare but less so.
And even weirder, Mercedes-Benz chose to use under license, the FIRST gen.

And they got even many years later.

They were saying on some of the post that there are 2 switches on top that have vacuum and electric connection problems that cause havoc.

Back