Starter relay?

Reaction score
Hi all,
Have any of you had a problem with your starter relay just quitting unexpectedl? Went to get into the 68 fury this morning for work and it wouldn’t start. I’ve been driving it for the last eight years with no problems. I looked at it after work with my son turning the key and the bottom terminal was moving. Thank you.
Charlie

The connectors on Mopar starter relays would corrode and heat up, this could cause the connector to get loose on the spade. Try cleaning the connections and you can use a pliers to mash the connector to where it fits tightly again. That may fix the problem. If it still does not work, remove the relay and carefully remove the metal cap, inspect the internals for corrosion and clean as necessary. You would also want to run a continuity test on the relay circuit to check for a bad ignition switch or a bad neutral safety switch.

Dave

Make sure the battery terminals and posts are clean from any gunk, too. That can cause a sudden no-start situation, too, although they might look good.

CBODY67

I've had weird issues like this with a couple of my cars. Can you jump the terminals on the relay and get it to crank? I did the ammeter bypass and it eliminated that problem for one car. The usual fix before that was to take off the battery cables and put them back on, and the car would start. One of my cars will occasionally need that once in a while.

If you want to replace it, I have them N.O.S. (aftermarket) U.S.A. made --- Gold Cadmium (from the Era when they cared !! ) for just $ 35.00....
I am here on Long Island, P.M. me as per forum rules, if interested....

Craig.....

Not a bad idea to keep a spare starter relay in the glove box….
Inexpensive insurance policy…..right next to the ballast resistor….

Back