1. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

I think I am going to start there. That paint is so thin I can see primer though it in places. My Dad had two Mason badges stuck on either side of the "300" and that residue may not come off without the paint.

2. PH27L7

PH27L7 Member

That should be 1967. If it were that late a date it would be a 1969. You actually have a relatively early build date.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. HWYCRZR

HWYCRZR Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

If you do decide to paint it. Check out
    8774paint1. That’s his phone number and web site. He mixes all kinds of Mopar trim paints and puts them in a spray can or will sell by the pint. Very nice guy to talk to and helpful. He has years of Mopar paint code knowledge for trim an accessories.
    He mixed my Silver Argent for my grill and taillights, my Suede Aztec Maroon for my dash and the tail light red for my rear taillight panel. If you don’t see it on his site call him. Around $20 bucks a can but accurate color and texture.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  4. HWYCRZR

HWYCRZR Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

Correct, December 15, 1967 was the scheduled build date. Model years ran from August through late June.
    image.jpg image.jpg

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  5. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

Thank to you and PH27L7 for the detail. It's cool finding the history of this beast.

6. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

I think you just sold two cans. One for the bezel...maybe, and one for the color match that runs thru the middle of the grill. Thanks for the tip!

7. PH27L7

PH27L7 Member

Nice work & car HWYCRZR!
    Couple things on the 300. Hopefully you relubed the front bearings when the brake job was done. You should also look at & grease the rears as well. The old grease gets petrified & wipes out the bearings. Normally just remove axles & clean out grease with brake clean & relube bearing using a needle attachment to grease gun. Change inner seals, new gaskets & set endplay with adjuster.

Also, you might want to remove the lower aluminum trim, especially the quarters. Dirt tends to collect inside & when it gets wet it promotes rust. Just remove lower screws & push up as gently as possible so as not to break the clips which will be fragile. The clips are hard to find but can be bought here-
    65-68 Rocker Moulding Clip-Repro

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

We did as you suggest re the bearings, etc. I have not touched the trim...that's a good tip.

Gotta say, this site is awesome! So many helpful folks here

9. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

Another tip, if you do not move the adjuster for the rear axle bearings, and mark the location of its holding tang, you won't need to change anything when you put the axles back in, saves some work (This assumes you are just repacking the existing bearings).

Dave

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  10. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

The carb on the 300 just wasn't wanting to play fair so we are going to try a freshly rebuilt Holley 600 CFM.

New intake for 300.jpg New carb for 300.jpg

11. Davea Lux

Davea Lux Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

The 4160 Holley was troublesome when they were new, so good luck. The secondary vacuum port was poorly placed so the darn things usually would not open the secondary until the engine RPMs were over about 3500, even running the weaker diaphragm springs. They provided good torque out of the hole but miserable mid range performance. If you are not able to get it to run to your satisfaction, a good fix is the AVS with the appropriate manifold or a 650 Holley with manual secondaries.

Dave

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  12. Luke Pokrajac

Luke Pokrajac Member

Nice car!! I've enjoyed reading this thread. Did you end up changing the timing chain on the 440?

13. detmatt

detmatt Old Man with a Hat FCBO Gold Member

They started building the ‘68s in July of ‘67 and stopped in June of ‘68 so yours was built right in the middle of the model year.

• Like Like x 1
  14. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

Not yet... I know you recommended we do so when we had the chance. Call it living dangerously. :D

15. Luke Pokrajac

Luke Pokrajac Member

Yep...my engine was pristine inside and there still was a bunch of timing chain wear. Fortunately the nylon gear was in good shape. No better way to ruin a good engine. Mine definitely did not need to be rebuilt...doing the chain pushed that out awhile.

16. sixtyf

sixtyf Active Member

Very nice '68, congrats. My mate has one in New Zealand, they are very cool cars. ( The wanna be B body bum stripe is being removed :) ) IMG_1477.JPG

• Like Like x 6
  17. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

I drove the 300 down the road today. I bet I put a whole half mile on it! 1st time in 30 years on the road under her own power. I need to take it to muffler shop, get the turn signals working and it should be ready for inspection.

IMG_4162.JPG

IMG_4163.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  18. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

19. D Ray's Alien

D Ray's Alien New Member

Does anyone have a source for the two wings nuts and hold down bracket I am missing for this jack assembly?

IMG_4182[1].JPG