68-300 Unibody options

LDarling2

Reaction score
I have a 68-300 convertible. I’m looking for a rust free unibody and stub frame… front to back if available. I’ll take it in sections if available… also rear wheel wells.

Considering this, Im trying to determine what other cars (years, models) have the same, or similar enough… unibody and stub frame. (Newport, New Yorker, Imperial, Fury, Polara, etc)

Thanks in advance

you need a stub frame from a chrysler newport, 300 or new yorker. dodge, plymouth,& imperial have different wheelbases.
others here can tell you what years interchange with your 68, im not sure what differences there might be between years

As for the SF, I suspect '66-'68. '65 was something of a transitional year, so might not worry about that one.

Are you looking to replace perforated sheet metal or otherwise?

You realize, TOO, that if you are seeking a convertible body, the production numbers of ANY Chrysler Corp convertible were usually well under 5000/yr or so?

Being a UniBody, if they got rusty, they probably went to the salvage yard to complete the process and/or got compressed for recycling. Hence, best to look for a coupe for body sheetmetal and modify it to become a convertible. Not enough basic strength there to just chop the top off (ala '58-'60 T-birds), though.

CBODY67

I couldn't find an online '68 Chrysler service manual, so I'll compare the frame diagrams from the 1966 manuals. Dodge vs Chrysler. If you can see a difference somewhere, let me know. Otherwise I remain convinced that Monaco/Polara shared the same stub frame as all the Chrysler's, for at least 66/67/68 and probably '65. I'm guessing Fury is going to be different only because of the shorter rear torsion bar socket.

1966-chrysler-subframe.gif

1966-monaco-polara-frame.gif

I have a 68-300 convertible. I’m looking for a rust free unibody and stub frame… front to back if available. I’ll take it in sections if available… also rear wheel wells.

Considering this, Im trying to determine what other cars (years, models) have the same, or similar enough… unibody and stub frame. (Newport, New Yorker, Imperial, Fury, Polara, etc)

Thanks in advance
First off welcome from Marcellus, NY. There's a few of us here from the CNY area.

The stub frame from a '67 or '68 Chrysler or Dodge should work. I don't believe that a Plymouth frame will work and I know that an Imperial frame won't. If you can find someone with a Hollander exchange book that covers that time frame, that would help.

Regarding the "unibody"... I'm assuming you mean rear frame rails and floor pan. That's going to be tough. While I'm not real familiar with the '68, the convertible rear frame will have reinforcement near the front spring hangers. The rear wheel wells are the same as sedans or hardtops, but the top is cut and a cap was spot welded over them to reduce the height so the top mechanism clears. You may be able to use frame rails from a 67/68 sedan or hardtop and salvage reinforcements from your car.

Really, what you need is a good parts car...

All that said, if this is the typical rusty car from the area, you'll probably be better off finding a better car to start with. But that's just my opinion and I have no idea how bad your car is and what your capabilities are.

Here’s my car… the body is pretty nice. I kinda got swindled a little when i bought it unseen. I got lots of pictures so i knew the underside was going to need some work… however, when i slide under it and started poking around… my finger disappeared through spots that looked good in the pics and i wondered what was holding it together. It won’t pass NYS inspection… so i can’t even drive it… So now i need to grit my teeth and fix it.
IMG_6767.jpeg

I’m only seeing like 1/16” differences in a couple spots with the 69-71 300 stub frames compared to the 66 Polara above.., so i have to assume 68 was the same. Looks like the range might go from 66-71 now.
IMG_8482.png

A main difference in the Fuselage C-bodies and the Slab C-bodies is that the Fuselage cars from 1970-'73 had different body mounts under them, which were a part of the Torsion-Quiet Ride package. My '70 Monaco front frame looks more like my '77 Camaro, but better in the length of the side pieces and how far they go toward the rear springs.

1969, being a C-body transitional year and before TQR (1970), might be more like the '68s than the '70s?

You can download the FSMs at www.mymopar.com . They have the diagonals and related illustrations of the complete underbody areas. Diagonal measurements used by body shops to "check for square" when repairing collision damages. You can compare as you desire.

The car looks good as it is. Document all repairs for when you might desire to sell it.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I’m only seeing like 1/16” differences in a couple spots with the 69-71 300 stub frames compared to the 66 Polara above.., so i have to assume 68 was the same. Looks like the range might go from 66-71 now.
View attachment 649255
Some of the 70-71 Stub frames are a bit different in that some were made for rubber mounting to the body and there's extensions off the rear. Exceptions to this are convertibles and station wagons. The 69 and 70 Plymouths used a shorter torsion bar so that won't work either. So maybe a '69 Chrysler or Dodge or a '70 Chrysler or Dodge convertible or station wagon. You can see in your diagram the difference between the sedan/hardtop and convertible/station wagon.

Before you buy this, do a little more homework. Don't depend on what what has been said here... We're all human and I'd hate to see you spend time and $$ and not get what you need.

The MyMopar site does not have a '68 Chrysler service manual as far as I've seen. Nor '67 if I recall. It does have '66, so that's why I compared the 1966 frames between Dodge and Chrysler. If you look, the diagrams both have the same code (NK174A). I also couldn't find a '68 Polara/Monaco manual, but there is a '67, and it shows again what I think are exactly the same numbers, the frame diagram is coded as NK174B.

All C-body wagons, Slabs and Fuselages, used the 122" wheelbase. Same as Dodge cars.

Within the C-body platform for Chrysler and Dodge, MyMopar.com does onto have everything for each one, but a representative number that can be used. The particular "Slabs" platform you have went from '65-'68 model years with the body shop diagonals being the same. '66 is good as it was the 2nd year of that platform series.

If you desire "a second source", look for the charts for the body shop frame machine equipment companies who had such specs, too. Might be something online, too, just verify WHERE it came from.

Otherwise, put your car on 4 jackstands (on a solid and level shop floor), drop some plumb-bobs and make your own "map" off of your car. Then see how they compare to the FSM maps.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

This is a 1967 Fury frame. It came as slant-6 and V-8. This is the V-8. Note that it has diagram code NK139B. The most obvious difference is the shorter rear torsion bar anchor sockets. You need to use 44" torsion bars for the Fury. Not 47".

1967-fury-8-frame.gif

you need a stub frame from a chrysler newport, 300 or new yorker. dodge, plymouth,& imperial have different wheelbases.
others here can tell you what years
This is a 1967 Fury frame. It came as slant-6 and V-8. This is the V-8. Note that it has diagram code NK139B. The most obvious difference is the shorter rear torsion bar anchor sockets. You need to use 44" torsion bars for the Fury. Not 47".

View attachment 649368
interchange with your 68, im not sure what differences there might be between years
I was wondering about the fury… thank you.
I really need floors. That’s the biggest and primary problem.

Thanks in advance
Find a Hollander Interchange Manual. Everything else is just a guess.

Back